Last week, Brazilian comic book artist Robson Rocha was hospitalised, at the Eduardo de Menezes Hospital, diagnosed as struggling with COVID-19. Friends of his were organising donations both of blood and money, to help him out. However, today we learned that he had passed away from a coronavirus infection. Yildiray Cinar posted "So sorry to learn that Robson Rocha left us today. RIP Robson. So young and early… My condolences to his family, his loved ones and all his fans" and many other comic creators across the world followed suit.
Robson Rocha had been working for DC Comics over the last ten years, including on Lobo, Sinestro, Birds of Prey, Superboy, Batman/Superman, Earth 2, Supergirl, Green Lanterns and the most recent revamp of Aquaman with Kelly Sue DeConnick.
- Geraldo Borges: What a sad day we lost one of greatest brazilian comicbook artists Robson Rocha. My condolences to his family, friends and fans.
- Marcio Fiorito: Today, the comic book industry lost one of its greatest talents. Me, I lost a brother. Robson Rocha was destined to be one of the giants of the industry, and he was already on his way to become one. I used to joke with him that his work was so good it was offensive. He made it look too easy (and art – specially art like his – is most definitely NOT). You guys knew his work. I knew the man. And he was every bit as great in person as he was in his talent. We shared a room on our last trip to NYCC. All those laughs and memories will stay with me forever. We met in person a few weeks back, at a bakery near my house. He phoned me and we met on the street. We talked about life in the pandemic and how shitty all that was. I remember telling him to come to my place whenever things got too heavy, and we would talk and play some videogames. He never managed to come. My friend died from a SECOND infection of Covid. Take this as a warning. Stay safe. Protect yourselves. Get the F-CKING VACCINE!!!! This is not a joke. I am crushed. Farewell, my brother. See you on the other side.
- Kelly Sue DeConnick: We lost Robson Rocha. He's been ill with Covid complications for a while, but things were starting to look better for a bit. And then… no. I'm still processing all this, I guess, so I don't have much to say. Trying to figure out what to do, how best to support his family. I need to send some emails to book teams. For now, keep Robson's family in your thoughts, I guess? I'm not sure what that does, but it can't hurt. I'll tell you some stories about him another time. Love each other and stay safe, xo Kelly Sue
- Mike McMahon: RIP Robson Rocha. Been fighting COVID for a while and passed. Great loss to his family and comics.
- Daniel Henriques: We lost Robson Rocha today , I still can't believe this… and I'm having a hard time putting it to words…we worked together for many years and I feel we barely scratched the surface of were his talent was going… He was a friend and great guy, and above everything he was a husband and a father with unbound love and dedication to his family, the industry and the world just became a poorer place today… I'm at a loss for words here…. This damn virus is ruthless and unfair… this was our last time together , and our last piece of art together …you will never be forgotten my friend , you live in the heart of your family, your friends , and your fans
- Doc Shaner: Completely gutted to hear of Robson Rocha's passing. I first saw his stuff with Taylor on Superman/Batman a few years ago and was really impressed but rediscovering his magnificent work on Aquaman w/ Kelly Sue this last year has been such a joy. All my best to his family.
- Alvaro Martínez Bueno: Devastating news, RIP Robson Rocha. One of the most amazing talents of the last 10 years, he left so young.
- Alex Antone: Absolutely devastated to hear about the passing of Robson Rocha. We both became dads during our run on Aquaman and by pure coincidence so did Arthur. I'm sad about the loss of a great artist, but much more sad about the loss of such a kind and generous man and a loving father.
- David Pepose: Terrible news. Robson Rocha was an immensely talented artist who deserved every bit of his critical acclaim. My deepest condolences to his family, friends, and collaborators.
- Adriana Melo: My heart aches… Robson Rocha was a dear friend and one of my favorite comic book artists, a reference in the industry. So young, so talented… I'm broken.
- Chris Conroy: Robson was an incredible artist who just got better and better with every project. He was going to be an absolute star for decades to come. I am gutted for his family, to have lost him so young.
- Ben Abernathy: Heartbroken over the news regarding the incredibly talented Robson Rocha. A kind man and a giant talent taken too soon
- Christos Gage: RIP Robson Rocha, lost to COVID far too young. Deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.
There are going to be many more reactions, especially for one so talented, dying so young.