'Katy Keene': Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Lucy Hale and Ashleigh Murray Respond to CW Series Order
"Archie-verse" creator and executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Berlanti Productions, and Warner Bros. Television learned this week that the CW was officially bringing Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene to series. Aguirre-Sacasa as well as series stars Lucy Hale (Pretty Little Liars) and Ashleigh Murray (Riverdale) have taken to social media to express their excitement over the news – and share a pretty sweet series teaser poster, too:
Now let's hear from Aguirre-Sacasa, Hale, and Murray – or at least, their Twitter accounts:
Described as "very different from Riverdale," Aguirre-Sacasa's Katy Keene follows the lives and loves of four iconic Archie Comics characters — including fashion legend-to-be Katy Keene (Hale) and singer/songwriter Josie McCoy (Murray) — as they chase their twenty-something dreams in New York City. This musical dramedy chronicles the origins and struggles of four aspiring artists trying to make it on Broadway, on the runway and in the recording studio.
Katy Keene also stars Jonny Beauchamp (Penny Dreadful), Julia Chan (Saving Hope), Camille Hyde (American Vandal), Lucien Laviscount (Snatch), Zane Holtz(TV's From Dusk Till Dawn), and Katherine LaNasa (Imposters). Here's a look at what we know so far about the cast:
● Hale's Katy Keene is a bold, big-hearted, and independent twenty-something New Yorker who aspires to be a fashion designer. When she's not working as a personal shopper at a luxury department store, she's navigating friendship and dating in the big city.
● Spinning off from her time in the small town of Riverdale, a now 20-something Josie McCoy (Murray) sets off on a new adventure to make it in the big city. More determined than ever to break into the music scene as the next Diana Ross, Josie finds herself forging new friendships, falling into new relationships, and, one day, becoming the star she is destined to be.
● Hyde's Alexandra is a powerful, savvy and chic New York socialite. Senior Vice President at her father's company, she is both respected and feared. Alexandra is competitive with her brother, Alexander – who has a very different vision for the record label.
● Laviscount's Alexander is the CEO of his father's company and dreams of rebooting its dormant record label division, which attracts him to Josie. He's cut from a different cloth than his billionaire family, as he'd rather take the subway and listen to vinyl – and he secretly DJs at a dive club.
● Beauchamp's Jorge/Ginger Lopez works at his family's bodega by day – but by night, his drag alter ego Ginger bartends and performs at a local club. Jorge always has aspired to be a Broadway performer, but he's now looking to take his drag career to the next level.
● Chan's Pepper Smith is a New York City "It Girl" who is at the epicenter of all things trendy. As the funny, magnetic life of the party, she dreams of opening her very own version of Andy Warhol's Factory. But behind all the outrageous noise, no one quite knows where she gets all her money — or if she even has any.
● Holtz's Ko Kelly is a boxer with two goals in life: to fight a welterweight championship in Madison Square Garden and to marry his longtime girlfriend, Katy Keene. Born and raised in Queens, Ko is a humble, protective, salt-of-the-earth guy who makes ends meet as a personal trainer and a bouncer.
● LaNasa's Gloria Grandbilt is a legendary personal shopper at the luxury department store Lacy's, which caters to the rich and famous. Always impeccably dressed and the queen of her domain, she demands a level of excellence from her "girls," young assistants that few can provide.