DC Comics is launching a free virtual comic convention, the DC FanDome, on Saturday August 22nd starting at 10am PDT, 1pm EDT and 6pm BST. It appears to be all alternative to the San Diego Comic-Con which is having its own virtual event in July, and includes programming that has previously appeared at San Diego. Is this the equivalent of a UCS/Lunar comic convention?
DC Publisher and CCO Jim Lee has issued the following address
Welcome — to the DC Fandome.
DC is bringing the whole world together—under one huge virtual dome —for 24 hours to celebrate you, the fan! Whether you like to read the comics, watch the movies, play the games or binge the TV series – the DC Fandome will have something just for you. And I don't mean things you have seen before. We're working across all of DC and WB to create experiences and adventures within a first of its kind, online immersive world that will not only make headlines around the world but bring joy and hopefully leave a lasting impact on those of you who join us.
I've worked in comics for over three decades, and have attended hundreds (ok maybe thousands!) of conventions from Brazil to China to Australia to Italy and of course San Diego and everywhere in between. The energy and excitement that comes from meeting with fans, sharing news with you first, taking your questions and talking with you about the stories that have changed the genre and changed your lives are some of my greatest joys.
In more than 30 years of traveling the globe, never did I imagine that I would attend one convention where everyone on the entire planet had the opportunity to be there at the same time. No passport, no lanyard, no hotel room required. But that's exactly what is going to happen in August!
The amazing teams at DC and WB came together this past spring to think about ways we could show up for you and celebrate the characters we all love. The truth is—we miss you! And we want to capture that energy of a convention and create an epic, can't-miss moment for our fans around the globe. All online. This isn't one big Zoom call….we're building an expansive, immersive universe where you can explore, create, learn and hear from the biggest DC stars and creators. This is the DC Multiverse like you have never seen it before.
We want to entertain our fans, because you have always been at the center of our universe. This is a chance to give back and bring everyone together to celebrate what makes DC great: the super fans, comic book writers and artists, gamers, incredible casts, showrunners, talent and artists of every stripe–prop masters and stunt performers, composers and animators, compositors and designers.
That's why we're doing this.
In the coming weeks we'll share a lot more about what the DC FanDome will look like, and all the ways you can be a part of it whether you are a cosplayer, an artist or comics fan! Make sure to keep an eye right here, on the new Daily Star blog, for regular updates.
Can't wait to see you there!
Accessible for 24 hours at DCFanDome.com, the event will include new announcements from WB Games, Film and TV, and comics, as well as an opportunity to hear from the casts and creators behind your films and TV series, including Aquaman, The Batman, Batwoman, Black Adam, Black Lightning, DC Super Hero Girls, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, DC's Stargirl, Doom Patrol, The Flash, Harley Quinn, the SnyderCut of Justice League, Lucifer, Pennyworth, SHAZAM!, The Suicide Squad, Supergirl, Superman & Lois, Teen Titans GO!, Titans, Watchmen, Young Justice: Outsiders and, coming this fall to theaters worldwide, Wonder Woman 1984.
The DC FanDome will debut exclusive footage, and create themed worlds intended to appeal to movie and TV fans, gamers and readers, families and kids. They also intend to have special presentations for fans in every time zone across the globe, and I'll be checking that by watching in Britain. Fans will also get access to localized events, featuring the faces and voices from countries around the world in their local language. I am hoping for British accents, myself. The Hall of Heroes will feature special programming, panels and content reveals from a wide variety of films, TV series and games, available in several languages, including Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish. This is followed by five additional satellite worlds, each with its own localized content and unique activities and one world fully devoted to younger fans:
- DC WatchVerse: Here's where you grab a seat, sit back and join our virtual audience and become completely engrossed in hours of must-see content from around the world. Everything from panels and exclusive screenings to never-before-seen footage, featuring cast, creators and behind-the-scenes crew from across DC Films, TV, Home Entertainment and Games.
- DC YouVerse: Venture into this world where the FANS are the stars to see the most amazing user-generated content, cosplay and fan art from around the world, including, perhaps, your own.
- DC KidsVerse: Need a way to entertain your kids for hours on end? We've got you covered inside a special world, which can be accessed directly at DCKidsFanDome.com. This area features a broad range of family-friendly activations for our younger fans.
- DC InsiderVerse: This creativity-based world contains a centerpiece video featuring legendary artist and DC CCO/Publisher Jim Lee, President of DC-Based Film Production Walter Hamada, and creator of the DC TV Arrowverse, Executive Producer Greg Berlanti, welcoming fans with a 101-style introduction to the DC Multiverse. From there, go behind the scenes with the master artisans who bring DC to life in all its forms, from comic books to games, TV, movies, theme parks, consumer products and more.
- DC FunVerse: Take your DC FanDome experience and gather cool shareables; check out our comic book reader; DIY cool WW84 Golden Armor and Batmobile kits; plus digital giveaways and a store filled with merchandise, including some limited-edition exclusives.
The second annual celebration of Black nerd culture returns with the all-new Blerd & Boujee House at DC FanDome, intended to bring "Blerds, LatinxGeeks and all nerds "party-with-a-purpose" vibes". A previous iteration of this event took place on the DC boat at San Diego Comic-Con 2019.
In partnership with Talenthouse, DC FanDome today launched a call for your best DC Fan Art & Fandom displays, and they ask for fans to send in cosplay, makeup, tattoos or your own Batcave, to be submitted at create.DCFanDome.com for a chance to be featured. Selected artists on the day of our event will be voted on by the community in two competitions in order to help our judges pick selected artist winners. Selected artist winners will receive part of a cash prize pool courtesy of DC and Talenthouse.