AWA, the comic book publisher founded by Bill Jemas as publisher and Axel Alonso as EIC, has always talked about creating multi-media projects. And now, in lockdown, it has seized on the opportunity. As of today, it has a Webtoon-style comic journalist series on NBC.com from comic book writer and journalist Ethan Sacks, best known for his Old Man Hawkeye and Old Man Quill comics for Marvel, with artist Dalibor Talajić, best known for Red Wolf, Dexter and Empire Of The Dead as well as Madaya Mom, a collaborative series between ABC News and Marvel Comics telling the story of the siege of Madaya, Syria.
AWA (Artists, Writers & Artisans) Studios/Upshot presents Covid Chronicles, a visual exploration of the men and women on the front lines of the Covid-19 crisis, combining hard-hitting investigative journalism with expressive and vivid comic art. Journalist and writer Ethan Sacks (NY Daily News, NBC News, TODAY, Marvel Comics) tells the stories of five people in some of the hardest hit locations, including:
- An ICU nurse in New York City struggling to cope with witnessing an ever-growing death toll, as she furiously works to keep her aging mother safe at home.
- A covid survivor retelling her near death experience, including a last-minute recording to her children she never expected to see again.
- An Italian opera singer whose inspiring balcony performance went viral.
- A beat reporter who sent his family to the suburbs as he puts himself at risk every day to cover the epidemic in New York.
- An ER doctor operating a covid testing facility forced to make potential life-or-death decisions with their limited supply of testing materials.
Ethan Sacks stated, "The goal in Covid Chronicles was to tell intensely personal stories during this unique moment in history. Every subject opened themselves up to my recorder supplying first-person accounts, photographs and videos to help me convey their experiences to a wider audience, and Dalibor's art added a level of emotion that no written article could ever match."
The first episode of Covid Chronicles is live now and is available exclusively on NBC.com.
Errata: The article title originally said that the comic was created for Bill Jemas, but we received adamant notes that, no, it was for Axel Alonso and Bill had nothing to do with it. Equally, Axel Alonso had nothing to do with AWA's iPOP line and that was all Jemas. We are happy to set the record straight.