Amazon Web Services & Game Jolt Announce The Girls In Games Jam
Amazon Web Services and Game Jolt have announced a brand new online event to take place in August with the Girls In Games jam. The event is designed to showcase the representation of girls and women in the games industry, specifically for those early in their games careers and "those who identify as and are allies of girls, women, and non-binary people." The jam will start with a day of mentorship, which will include several live 30-minute lightning talk sessions, as well as a few 1-hour roundtable panels, which we have the full schedule for below. Those who join the jam can team up or fly solo as they will be tasked with creating a game pitch deck featuring a girl and/or woman as the protagonist. Those looking to join can do so through the Girls in Games community page on Game Jolt, which is where all of the content will be livestreamed. We have more info below and you get get the full details on the AWS for Games blog post.
Full Girls In Games Session Schedule For August 5:
- 8am PT: Introduction to the Girls in Games Jam – Yaprak DeCarmine, CEO, Game Jolt
- 8:30am PT: A Career in Game Design – Sarah Eggers, Sr. Content Designer, Sucker Punch Productions
- 9am PT: A Career in Game Development & Publishing – Leanne Loombe, Head of External Games at Netflix
- 9:30am PT: A Career in Game Production – Kirsten Gavoni, Executive Producer, Warner Bros. Games
- 10am PT: A Career in Games Media – Streaming and Beyond – Mary Kish, Director of Community Marketing, Twitch
- 10:30am PT: A Career in Programming – Laura Puerto, Platform Engineer, Dreamhaven
- 11am PT: Career Discussion with the Women of Sony Interactive Entertainment – Round Table with Merilly Ruglas (Sr. User Experience Designer, PlayStation Visual Arts Studio), PJ Camp Malik (Senior Manager of Product Data Science, Data Storytelling, PlayStation), Shelby Kolb (Digital Communications Data Analyst, Sony)
- 12pm PT: Inclusivity/Accessibility in Games – Mila Pavlin, Lead UX Designer, Sony Santa Monica
- 12:30pm PT: Positive Play – Rachel Franklin, SVP of Positive Play at Electronic Arts
- 1pm PT: Representation of Women and Girls in Games – Round Table with Jesse Wan (Director of Marketing, EA Sims), Jesyca Durchin (Senior Producer, Warner Bros. Games), Rachel Barnum (Designer, Amazon Game Studio), Catherina Mallet (VP & GM of Maxis & The Sims at Electronic Arts)
- 2pm PT: Moving Roles within the Games Industry – Shelby Moledina, Co-founder/COO, Double Loop Games
- 2:30pm PT: Making a Great Pitch Deck – Kristina Blanco, Director of Business Development at Studio Capital Management
- 3pm PT: Women of AWS for Games – Round Table with Claire Waluch (Sr. Account Manager, AWS for Games), Gena Gizzi (Sr. Solutions Architect, AWS for Games), Tabitha Graves (Account Manager, AWS for Games), Katie Araujo (Sr. Account Manager, AWS for Games), Nidhi Gupta (Sr. Program Manager, AWS for Games), Noor Fairoza (Solutions Architect, AWS for Games), Vanessa Holliday (Sr. Sales Leader, AWS for Games)
- 4pm PT: Community Building – Victoria Tran, Community Director at Innersloth – Among Us
- 4:30pm PT: Independent studios and start-ups – Cat Varner (Director of Product at Dreamhaven), Laura Puerto (Platform Engineer, Dreamhaven), Bridget Collins (Lead Game Designer, Lightforge Games), Kristin Kane (Backend Engineer, Lightforge Games), Molly Pease (Writer, Metatheory), Nina Park (UI/UX, Metatheory), Jen Einfield-Kane (Narrative Designer, Metatheory)
"With Girls in Games, I'm excited to show off the amazing women that play an important role within our industry in hopes of empowering others to see themselves as part of it in the future," said Yaprak DeCarmine, CEO and Founder of Game Jolt. "As an industry, we have room to grow when it comes to inclusivity and highlighting the creators behind our favorite games. By spreading the word about what is possible to achieve, we can help inspire the next generation of influential creators."
"Creating new opportunities and pathways for more diversity, equity and inclusion in entertainment technology is a huge priority at AWS," said Tracy Geist, Global Head of Games and Media & Entertainment Marketing at AWS. "We are thrilled to partner with Game Jolt to host the Girls in Games jam, offering access to presentations, mentorship, hands-on learning, and a pitch opportunity with some of the brightest female leaders in the games industry."