Six months after production on the first season began and four months after showrunner Steven S. DeKnight (Marvel's Daredevil) left the series ("creative differences") and Sang Kyu Kim (The Walking Dead) joined, fans of the streaming service's upcoming series adaptation of writer Mark Millar and artist Frank Quitely's comic book series Jupiter's Legacy are in for some good news.
Taking to Twitter on Thursday, Millar tweeted an image of himself and his wife having dinner with series co-star Ben Daniels. In the tweet below, Millar makes it official: filming on the series' 8-episode season has "just finished". And if anyone would know, it's Millar – considering his Millarworld Productions is producing::
I might have mentioned this before, but we're doing a little TV series at Netflix called Jupiter's Legacy and it's just finished filming. Here's Mrs Millar and I having dinner in London with one of the leads, the devilishly handsome Ben Daniels. pic.twitter.com/QaU70iqki1
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) January 23, 2020
Based on the graphic novels of the same name by Mark Millar and artist Frank Quitely and published by Image Comics, the adaptation stars Josh Duhamel (Transformers), Ben Daniels (The Crown), Leslie Bibb (Tag), Elena Kampouris (Sacred Lies), Andrew Horton (How to Talk to Girls at Parties), Matt Lanter (Timeless), and Mike Wade (For the People). DeKnight wrote and will direct the first episode, and serve as series showrunner as well as executive producer.
Based on the critically-acclaimed Image Comics series, Jupiter's Legacy focuses on the world's first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930s. In the present day, they are the revered elder guard – while their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents.
Here's a look at who viewers will meet in the world of Jupiter's Legacy:
● Duhamel's Sheldon Sampson (The Utopian) is the storied leader of the superhero team The Union. But times have changed, and he doesn't understand the world we live in anymore. Or his own family.
● Daniels' Walter Sampson (Brain-Wave) is Sheldon's older brother. A man of vast intellect and cunning who, unlike Sheldon, isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Or bloody.
● Bibb's Grace Sampson (Lady Liberty) is Sheldon's wife and one of the most powerful heroes on the planet. She doesn't always agree with Sheldon, but strives to balance his ideals with the reality of the modern, often violent, world they live in.
● Kampouris' Chloe Sampson is Grace and Sheldon's daughter. Rejecting everything her parents stand for, Chloe has forged her own hedonistic path far away from them. A path that threatens to go against everything her parents have sworn to protect.
● Horton's Brandon Sampson is Grace and Sheldon's son. In training to assume the mantle of The Utopian and become the new leader of The Union, he struggles to live up to his father's mythic legend.
● Wade's Fitz Small (The Flare) is the heart and soul of The Union. Despite suffering injuries that ended his career as a superhero, he continues to be one of the most valued members of the team. And is often the only thing holding them together in the face of an increasingly hostile world.
● Lanter's George Hutchence (Skyfox) is Sheldon Sampson's closest friend and ally before turning against him and the rest of his teammates in The Union. Now considered the greatest supervillain in the world, George plots his revenge on the teammates he believes betrayed him.
The series also stars Tenika Davis (Big Top Academy) as Fitz's daughter, Petra; while Chase Tang (Slasher) has been cast as super-villain Baryon.