Doctor Who Blu-Ray boxset releases are always fun these days, with the BBC usually releasing a fun new video with original scripted content to coincide with them. The following video was scripted by James McTighe, who wrote the 2018 Series 11 episode, "Kerblam!".
Season 14 could be said to be the peak of producer Philip Hinchcliffe's era of smart gothic thriller plots culled from movies and literature. Elizabeth Sladen, who played companion Sara Jane Smith, left midseason and Louise Jameson joined the show as Leela.
"Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 14": What the BBC Says…
In 1976, Doctor Who took a dramatic new turn, electrifying audiences with changes in format, companion and appearance of the TARDIS. Season 14 saw the departure of the Doctor's long-term companion Sarah Jane Smith, and the introduction of Leela. The season contains some of Tom Baker's most iconic serials, with intrepid investigations in Victorian London, deadly robots in a murderous whodunit, a return to the Doctor's homeworld, and one of the saddest goodbyes in Doctor Who history.
Producer Hinchliffe led Doctor Who through a creative high, joined by Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, Jameson as the Doctor's captivating new companion Leela, alongside guests stars Tim Pigott-Smith, Stephen Thorne, Peter Pratt, Pamela Salem, David Collings, Christopher Benjamin, and Trevor Baxter.
With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:
- Immersive 5.1 surround sound – The Deadly Assassin
- Brand new audio commentaries – Baker and Matthew Sweet on selected episodes of The Face of Evil and The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Behind the Sofa– New episodes with Baker, Jameson, Hinchcliffe, plus companions Sophie Aldred and Peter Purves.
- Our Sarah Jane– Sladen Tribute – A feature-length look at the life and career of Sarah Jane Smith, played by Sladen.
- Whose Doctor Who Revisited– Toby Hadoke meets the producers and grown-up stars of the very first Who Documentary.
- In Conversation– Sweet chats to producer Hinchcliffe.
- Blu-Ray trailer – Jameson has trouble with her new home assistant.
- Brand new interviews
- Rare archive material
- Convention footage
- HD photo galleries
- Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files and other gems from our PDF archive
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 14 includes the following stories from 1976-1977:
- "The Masque of Mandragora"
- "The Hand of Fear"
- "The Deadly Assassin"
- "The Face of Evil"
- "The Robots of Death"
- "The Talons of Weng-Chiang"
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 14 is available in the UK from the Monday 20th April. It will be released in the US and Australia shortly after.