Hellboy creator Mike Mignola tweeted out a tease, "It's been a while but, yes, I am finally drawing a comic again." With the following image;
Mike Mignola created Hellboy at Dark Horse Comics, as part of a shared universe of titles including B.P.R.D., Abe Sapien, Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder and various spinoffs. He has also created other supernatural and paranormal-themed titles for Dark Horse including Baltimore, Joe Golem and The Amazing Screw-On Head.
Prior to 1994 Mignola's career had been spent doing work-for-hire illustration for corporate publishers. That year, Dark Horse Comics released Hellboy: Seed of Destruction, Mignola's creator-owned project. Since then all Hellboy stories have been written by Mignola though other artists began to draw them. Makoma in 2006 was the first Hellboy story not drawn by Mignola, featuring Richard Corben. Other artists on Hellboy have included Jason Shawn Alexander, Kevin Nowlan, Scott Hampton and Duncan Fegredo. Mike Mignola returned as the full-time artist for Hellboy in 2012 for the series' conclusion, Hellboy in Hell.
He did have Sir Edward Grey: Acheron with Dave Stewart at Dark Horse in December, which wasn't that long ago – unless it was drawn quite some time ago. And part of the Hellboy universe. Now it seems, however, that he is back with something different.
In response, other creators added their own encouraging words on Twitter;
- Jimmy Palmiotti: Looking good!
- Pepe Larraz: It's a great day, then!!!
- Tom Raney: And it looks fantastic! Eager to read it!
- Matthew Dow Smith: Fantastic! Genuinely can't wait to see what you're doing!
- Gabriel H Walta: Looks just beautiful!
- Francesco Francavilla: YAAAAAAAASSSSS
And on Instagram;
- Ryan Ottley: Yes pleaz
- Tim Townsend: YesyesYES!
- Derek Laufman: This makes me happy!
- Steve Buccellato: Comics are neat!
- Mark Buckingham: Fantastic! I can't wait to read it!
- Jim Demonakos: Awesome!
- Nick Barrucci: GREAT things come to those who wait Mike Mignola
- Scott Koblish AWESOME
- Paul Renaud This post made my day
- Stephanie Phillips: This makes me happy too!
And to Ryan Uhl's question "Is this comic "From the World of Hellboy"?" Mike Mignola replied "It is not."