I recently caught wind of the Kickstarter program by Tyler James for his Oxymoron hardcover graphic novel, published by ComixTribe. The project is described as…
…a hideously beautiful graphic novel about a contradiction-obsessed psychopath. Because everyone loves a good villain.
Regarding the Kickstarter program itself… frankly, I'm stunned senseless.
The Oxymoron Kickstarter is one of the most innovative, outside-the-box promotional programs I've ever seen or even heard of. There are thirty-four levels of participation for pledges, plus added bonuses are "unlocked" for pledge-givers when certain overall thresholds are met.
Just a few of the really cool features of their Kickstarter program:
- One pledge level grants you to receive copies of every book ComixTribe has published or will publish for the rest of your life.
- If the overall $20K goal is met, all backers with creative aspirations will be invited to pitch content for an "unlocked" Oxymoron Volume Two.
- Stretch goal funding unlocked ten variant hardcover editions, allowing qualifying backers to select the cover of his/her choice.
- A "Campaign Victory Party" will be broadcasted live on Talkshoe where James and the Oxymoron contributors will get to personally thank backers that call in.
- When the pledge goal surpassed the $15K mark, the hardcover "super-sized" to an Oversized format (think Walking Dead-sized).
- Earn a script critique from Eisner Nominee Jason Ciaramella (IDW's The Cape).
Here's a look at their Kickstarter video:
…and a summary of the multiple features that make up the book:
Personally, I'd like to see these guys reach their ultimate goal, simply as a reward for their innovation. There are only three days left in their Kickstarter, as the campaign ends at midnight EST on Friday, August 10th. A complete listing of all their pledge rewards can be found at their Kickstarter page.