With less than a month to go before the series leaps screens in a single bound on October 4, Netflix has released the official trailer and key images for its upcoming sci-fi family drama Raising Dion. Starring Jason Ritter, Michael B. Jordan, Alisha Wainwright, Ja'Siah Young, Jazmyn Simon, and Sammi Hanney, the nine-episode season is based on Dennis Liu's comic book. Carol Barbee serves as showrunner, and executive produces alongside Jordan, Liu, Kenny Goodman, Kim Roth, Michael Green, Charles D. King's MACRO, and Seith Mann – who directed the pilot and several episodes.
Raising Dion follows the story of Nicole Reese (Wainwright), who raises her son Dion (Young) after the death of her husband Mark (Jordan). The normal dramas of raising a son as a single mom are amplified when Dion starts to manifest several magical, superhero-like abilities. Nicole must now keep her son's gifts secret with the help of Mark's best friend Pat (Ritter), and protect Dion from antagonists out to exploit him while figuring out the origin of his abilities.
● Nicole (Wainwright) is a big dreamer who struggles to balance everything once Dion begins to develop superhuman abilities, creating a hectic day-to-day in which she strives to protect his childhood and his safety.
● Dion (Young) is an adorable eight-year-old, a precocious boy with an affinity for superheroes and science. This affinity becomes his challenging reality as he begins to develop the mysterious abilities, making his life difficult as he enters a new school and deals with the trauma of losing his father when he needed him the most.
● Pat (Ritter) is always doubted and misunderstood, and while his passion for science and comics sets an image of a seemingly awkward man, his warmth wins Dion over. Pat was Mark's best friend since their college days at Columbia, and after Mark's passing makes a big effort to be there for Nicole and Dion, and loves them like family.
● Kat Neese (Simon) is a surgical resident and Nicole's sister. She's the one that has her life together, and can't help but correct Nicole on life and parenting. All in all, she's a wonderful and supportive aunt and sister, but has a hard time biting her tongue as she watches her sister make mistakes.
● Sammi Hanney plays Esperanza Jimenez , a bright classmate of Dion who has brittle bone disease. A brilliant artist wise beyond her years, she looks out for Dion in an endearing manner, and, though it takes a while, Dion grows to realize she is his best friend.