Konami has officially revealed the massive lineup of games coming to the Contra Anniversary Collection this summer, and it is a Contra fan's dream. The game was announced a couple of months back along with the Arcade Classics and Castlevania collections, but beyond the idea that it would have the first game and it was coming out in the summer, we didn't really know what Konami was intending to put on here. Now we know as you're getting 11 games in total and some extra content. Included in the collection is Contra (Arcade), Super Contra (Arcade), Super C (NES), Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES), Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis), Contra (NES), Contra (Famicom), Operation C (Game Boy), Probotector (Sega Mega Drive), Super Probotector: Alien Rebels (Super Nintendo), and a bonus eBook.
That's basically every game in the entire 8-32 bit library before you start treading into the PS1 era, which we're kind of surprised aren't included since it would only be two extra games and they can't be that much bigger to add to the Contra Anniversary Collection library. The company released info for some of the latest games announced to the collection, which we have for you here along with images from all of the games being included in this collection. Hopefully, Konami will reveal details about the release date around E3.
- CONTRA: HARD CORPS (Sega Genesis) – A new direction in the franchise where for the first time players can choose from among four unique characters. This title also retains a primary side-scrolling perspective vs the featured overhead segments in earlier Contra titles. Additionally, the story is advanced through cutscenes and includes branching paths requiring players to make decisions within key stages. This is the first time the game has been re-released since its original run on the Sega Genesis.
- CONTRA (NES) – Fans can revisit the classic NES version of this original CONTRA title on current consoles, chock full of new content and added features from the arcade version.
- CONTRA (Famicom) – Also coming to the collection is the Famicom version of the original CONTRA game. This title also includes updated content and features from the arcade version, but also presentation updates from the NES version.
- OPERATION C (Game Boy) – The first handheld title in the franchise, this title is an original entry to the series and also the first to feature the now famous homing gun to save the world from a pending alien threat.
- PROBOTECTOR (Sega Mega Drive) – Originally launched in Europe, the two protagonists, Bill and Lance, were replaced with robotic counterparts along with many of the human enemies in the game. The two new protagonists, RD008 and RC011, were affectionately known as Probotectors.
- SUPER PROBOTECTOR: ALIEN REBELS (Super Nintendo) – A European launch of the well-regarded CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS, this title also takes advantage of the robotic protagonists RD008 and RC011 and delivers the classic features introduced by CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS such as holding two guns at once, top-down gameplay levels, and shooting in eight directions at will.