Back in February at ComicsPRO, Boom Studios announced their "Must Read" creator-owned series for 2020. This included the big news that superstars like DCeased's Tom Taylor and Immortal Hulk's Al Ewing had chosen to launch their first-ever creator-owned series with Boom (over a company like Image) in Seven Secrets and We Only Find Them When They're Dead, respectively. We know those series are debuting in August and September, but there's one ComicsPRO announcement you've likely forgotten:
There's a new TOP SECRET "Must Read" creator-owned series coming this Fall from Boom. Here's what I've learned so far:
- This isn't a secret launch like James Tynion IV & Michael Dialynas' Wynd, which wasn't traditionally solicited but still broke company records for a creator-owned series.
- That means this new series will launch in October and be solicited in Diamond's August Previews.
- It is written by one of the biggest names ever in entertainment. That's right, not just comics – and this is their comic book debut. So not Will Smith, or Tom Cruise, but that level.
- The name is so big that you can expect this book to become either a feature film, prestige series – or both – very soon. The only question will be who wins the bidding war.
- The writer is someone that Boom EIC Matt Gagnon personally brought into the company and it's a series he's deeply involved in.
That last bullet point is more important for retailers and readers than they may imagine as Gagnon (EIC at Boom since 2010) has been a key architect behind Boom's meteoric rise over the last year. Not only did he personally bring JT4 to the company with The Woods all those years back (which led to Something is Killing The Children) and Grant Morrison (which led to Klaus), but last year he also recruited Kieron Gillen (which led to Once & Future). He's been able to recruit Image creators like Brian Azzarello, Si Spurrier, Jeremy Haun, W. Maxwell Prince and more who've seen their creator series with Boom often meet if not exceed to sales of their launches at their competitors.
So, the chances are that Gagnon has been a driving force behind your favourite creator-owned books of the last year and this new secret project has his biggest recruit – so who will the Biggest One of Them All?
Well, October announcements from comics publishers will hit soon – and I'd be paying close attention to Entertainment Weekly or The Hollywood Reporter for an official announcement given the rumours about who this author might be.
But if anyone can get a sneak peek of next month's Boom Studios solicitations, do let us know. And keep an eye on Image co-founder Erik Larsen, who earlier this year took some shots at Boom – and will now be part of figuring out how Image responds to Boom's latest move in their creator-owned cold war.