If you're like me, and are either a fan of comics or Power Rangers, then it probably comes as no surprise that I'm reading, and every much excited, about the current Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers comics line by Boom! Studios. I can only hope you are too. They are really good. Seriously.
This year at New York Comic Con, the Power Rangers comic panel, was definitely one of the more amusing panels, if only because a) free Power Rangers Power coins were distributed to the audience and b) the Power Rangers themselves, or at least five individuals dressed as Power Rangers, made an appearance towards the end of the panel, accompanied of course by gnarly music.
While no outright spoilers were supplied, a few nifty hints popped up, along with some of the creators' own feelings towards and about the Power Rangers.
- There was a great deal of discussion about Power Rangers Pink and on what makes Kimberly so wonderful. As was pointed out, despite Kim wearing the color pink along with some groovy fashion choices, i.e. scrunchies, she wasn't there to be the female character whose only purpose was to be rescued. She wasn't the team's token female and she had an actual personality.
- The topic of Bulk and Skull came up and what makes them delightful characters. In the show, the actors themselves were good at physical comedy, but it goes deeper than that. We the viewers, at least back when the show aired, essentially grew up with them. We saw how they started, and how they went from mean and the butt of jokes to eventually taking on great responsibility of their own. Lest it also be said, Bulk and Skull are the best of friends who are genuinely inseparable.
- In the first issue of Pink, Jason's whereabouts are teased. We might see what he was doing at the time.
- Issue 4 and onwards of Pink will have a non-traditional Power Rangers team, yet it will honor the traditional Power Rangers team values.
- The creators made it clear that they have no intention of rebooting their Power Rangers universe and will probably never having them fight each other in any kind of "civil war." The Power Rangers are a team and they work best as a team.
- When asked where exactly the comics fall into Power Rangers continuity, it was said that the Boom! comics take place in a perfect little pocket universe, that while honoring continuity, updates the show and includes little things like cell phones.
- In issue 11, an item that's been around for a while, but has never been explained, will be explained. Additionally, what if this particular item didn't come from our universe?
- The biggest reveal of the panel however was in discussing issue 9 of Might Morphin Power Rangers. It seems that Jason, Kimberly, Trini, Zack, and Billy all get a dose of Green Ranger power!
- At the end, the Power Rangers came out to greet the audience and boy, was it a treat! The audience, myself included, went absolutely ballistic!
Octavio Karbank is a writer and bona fide Whovian. Living in Massachusetts, you can find him on Twitter @TymeHunter and his blog www.cozmicventures.com