September seems as good a month as any for a Purge, right? USA Network hopes so, with their 10-episode event series The Purge set to premiere Tuesday, September 4th at 10 p.m. ET/9 p.m. CT (with a simulcast on Syfy).
Directed by Unsolved's Anthony Hemingway with Thomas Kelly (Blue Bloods) serving as showrunner, the story is set between prequel film The First Purge and James DeMonaco's original film trilogy; and follows an ensemble of characters (and their backstories) through one horrifying Purge night.
Here's your first look at the upcoming USA Network series, as well as an official synopsis and character breakdown for The Purge:
Based on the hit movie franchise from Blumhouse Productions, THE PURGE revolves around a 12-hour period when all crime, including murder, is legal. Set in an altered America ruled by a totalitarian political party, the series follows several seemingly unrelated characters living in a small city. As the clock winds down, each character is forced to reckon with their past as they discover how far they will go to survive the night.
THE PURGE stars Gabriel Chavarria, Jessica Garza, Hannah Emily Anderson, Lili Simmons, Amanda Warren, Colin Woodell, Lee Tergesen, William Baldwin, Fiona Dourif and Reed Diamond.
THE PURGE is written and executive produced by the film franchise creator James DeMonaco and led by Jason Blum. Additionally, the entire team behind the blockbuster franchise are on board to executive produce: Michael Bay with Brad Fuller and Andrew Form under the Platinum Dunes banner and Sebastien K. Lemercier. Thomas Kelly serves as executive producer/showrunner of the series. Emmy® and Golden Globe® award-winner Anthony Hemingway will direct and executive produce the premiere episode.
Here's a look at the character overviews for The Purge:
● Baldwin's Don Ryker is the Managing Partner at Jane's investment firm, and her boss. Handsome, confident, and powerful, Don leads his team with alacrity and intelligence. He appears to be a big Jane supporter but in fact may be standing in the way of her career advancement – and also harbors a Purge night secret.
● Warren's Jane is a dedicated and hardworking finance professional who is convinced that she's hit an insurmountable glass ceiling at her firm, so she hires a Purge-assassin.
● Woodell's Rick is finally climbing the social ladder after a lifetime of bootstrapping; but he and his wife must decide how high of a moral price they're willing to pay to impress the pro-Purge elite and achieve their American dream.
● Chavarria's Miguel is a US Marine with a hard edge and a noble mission. After receiving a cryptic letter from his little sister, Penelope (Garzia), he returns to town on "Purge Night" to face the senseless violence in the streets alone in order to protect what he loves most: his family.
● Garzia's Penelope belongs to a cult that worships "Purge Night". Having pledged herself to be sacrificed at the behest of the cult's charismatic leader, Penelope's faith is put to the test when she witnesses firsthand the ghastly realities of "Purge Night."
● Simmons will play Lila, a young, rich, and rebellious, woman who refuses to fit in with the pro-Purge socialite crowd. Her confidence and charm mask a vulnerability that will be exposed as she attempts to deal with unfinished business before the sun rises.
● Anderson will portray Jenna, an anti-Purge and devoted to charitable causes, who is accustomed to locking down on Purge Night. Her choice to venture out for the first time leads to an encounter with violence that forces her to deal with deep truths about herself and her marriage.
● Tergesen is Joe, an armored, masked, and seemingly ordinary man who drives through town, intervening acts of Purge violence while listening to the taped lectures of a motivational life coach.