You're probably a lot more familiar with Greg Weisman's work than you realize. While he's currently writing Star Wars: Kanan – The Last Padwan for Marvel, Weisman's been a writer and/or producer on a lot of popular cartoons over the years. Star Wars Rebels, Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man, W.I.T.C.H. and Gargoyles are some of the series he's worked on.
Are you one of the folks who's still a little hacked off that Young Justice got cancelled before the story was over? Seems like a lot of people are still made at the studio suits who made that call. Weisman wasn't particular happy about that, himself.
In the meantime, he's been venturing out on his own. Weisman has written written two YA paranormal novels. Novels he owns.
"But seriously," says Weisman. "Aren't we tired of big corporations controlling our favorite characters' destinies – and especially tired of them preventing us from telling more stories with those characters? So I set out to create something that was ours, something we controlled."
Weisman's taken the first book in the series, Rain Of The Ghosts and is in the process of turning into a full cast AudioPlay, complete with an original soundtrack and sound effects. Having spent those years in animation, it wasn't hard for him to put together a slightly ridiculous cast including some Star Trek folks and even Ed Asner, who's had quite the second act as a voice actor. How ridiculous a cast? This ridiculous:
- Thom Adcox (Gargoyles, Young Justice, Felix the Cat);
- Edward Asner (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Gargoyles, Up);
- Jeff Bennett (Gargoyles, Young Justice, Batman: The Brave and the Bold);
- Steve Blum (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Star Wars Rebels);
- Daniella Bobadilla (Anger Management, Smallville);
- Jim Cummings (Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Winnie the Pooh);
- Elisa Gabrielli (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Madagascar);
- Bryton James (Young Justice, The Young and the Restless);
- Josh Keaton (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Green Lantern: The Animated Series);
- Eric Lopez (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice);
- Vanessa Marshall (Young Justice, Star Wars Rebels, Guardians of the Galaxy);
- Jacqueline Obradors (NYPD Blue, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Young Justice);
- Gregg Rainwater (Gargoyles, Young Justice, The Young Riders);
- Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Gargoyles, Young Justice);
- Brent Spiner (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Gargoyles, Star Wars Rebels);
- Deborah Strang (The Spectacular Spider-Man);
- Joel Swetow (Charmed, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine);
- Jacob Vargas (Sons of Anarchy, Max Steel);
- Greg Weisman (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice).
I suppose you could complain there are only two Emmy-winners in the cast.
The project is half-completed. After sinking $30K into getting all the voice work recorded, Weisman is turning to crowdfunding to complete the project.
This is a studio-quality production without any studio backing or studio interference," explains Weisman.
For more information, go to www.RainOfTheGhosts.com