The world seems like a terrible and strange place sometimes, but fandom still brings us together. Or at least gives us someone to unite against. These are strange times, but The Daily LITG is becoming a valuable way to quantify just what comic book geek culture is up to in this time of trial. Yesterday that included sad news collating comic book stores closures – but also one making an impressive move. Welcome all, to the daily Lying In The Gutters, a long-running run around the day before and the day ahead. You can sign up to receive it as an e-mail here.
Closing comic book stores and the ten most-read stories yesterday
To be fair, by now I would not have been surprised by hundreds of comic book stores having. That five have chosen to in recent weeks is very sad, but either t's good news that it is comparatively so few, or is is the start of a flood of closures. Here's what else people were reading yesterday.
- Five Comic Book Stores Announce Permanent Closure
- Nightwing #71 Review: This Is All as Dumb as It Sounds
- Nickelodeon Post Fuels SpongeBob SquarePants Sexuality Speculation
- Games Workshop Announces Warhammer 40,000 Indomitus Boxed Set
- One Hundred Marvel Comics By Black Creators, For Free
- Transformers Battlegrounds Is Coming In October 2020
- Gold Lantern Gives Legion Of Super-Heroes a 2nd Print and 1:25 Cover
- "Hasty, Sociopathic Decisions" – Image Comics' Publisher On DC Comics
- Death Metal Gets Spinoffs in DC Comics September 2020 Solicitations
- DC Comics Has News For Comics Shops, in the USA and Abroad
It was still all about Rob Liefeld a year ago…
We were reminded of when Rob Liefeld was predicting the imminent fall of DC Comics…
- Rob Liefeld Quits Twitter Following DC Tweet Controversy
- Man Sells His Half-Million Dollar Comics Collection to Go Travelling
- Official: Bendis Brings Back the Legion With Ryan Sook for New Ongoing, Millennium Event
- DC Launches 'Gotham City Monsters' with Frankenstein, Killer Croc, Lady Clayface, Orca, I Vampire – But No Poison Ivy
- Machine Man, Not Ultron, Will Be Villain of Ultron Agenda
Comic Book Events happening today
There would also have been signings, appearances, symposia, all manner of comic book-related events. But a few have gone online, and here are some still happening today, on the Daily LITG.
- Windham Sunday Matinee Vintage Comic Sale, Casablanca Comics, Maine, 3-6pm EDT.
- Modern Myths Stay Home Comic Con
Comic Book birthdays today
There may not be much of a party atmosphere right now. All depends on which state you are living in. But comic folk are still getting older and still celebrating that special date. With eleven years for us as well.
- Paul Kupperberg, longstanding DC Comics writer, current writer and executive editor at Charlton Neo Comics and Pix-C Webcomics, and a contributing author with Crazy 8 Press
- Mark Heike of AC Comics
- Dan Beauvais, Predator artist.
- Mike Bannon, creator of Mordant Orange.
- Bryan J.L. Glass, creator of The Mice Templar
- Jason Ridler, creator of Caravan.
- Chris Mitchell, author of The Realm Legends
- Alessandro Borroni, artist on Cyberines
Subscribe to our LitG Daily Mailing List
Interested in more debate about comic book stores or anything else? Subscribe to our LitG Daily Mailing List. And we'll see you here tomorrow.