Charles Soule had already told people that he would be bringing back Professor Xavier from the dead in his Astonishing X-Men comic book, and upcoming solicitations promised as much.
January and February's issues of the series promised as much. So it was expected for this issue. But how exactly?
ASTONISHING X-MEN #7 LEG
(W) Charles Soule (A) Phil Noto (CA) Mike Deodato
A MAN CALLED X Part 1
CHARLES XAVIER has a plan. He's going to save the world…whether you want it or not. Act II of the ASTONISHING X-MEN saga begins here, as a long-lost mutant returns to the world of the X-Men, Fantomex offers a kiss and Bishop discovers the Mindkiller.
Rated T+In Shops: Jan 03, 2018
ASTONISHING X-MEN #8 LEG
(W) Charles Soule (A) Paulo Siqueira (CA) Mike Deodato
A MAN CALLED X Part 2
• One of the most terrifying adversaries the X-MEN have ever faced has returned.
• CHARLES XAVIER may have made the greatest mistake of his life.
• Still reeling from their narrow escape from the SHADOW KING and the loss of a crucial ally, how will the mutant heroes face an enemy with the power to remake the world?
Rated T+In Shops: Feb 21, 2018
And it looks like, from today's Astonishing X-Men #6, "A Man Called X" is more than just a fancy title for the return of Xavier. But how did he do it, seemingly trapped on the astral plane by the Shadow King, with a destroyed body and destroyed brain?
Well, remember that final post-credit scene from X-Men: The Last Stand?
With Charles Xavier surviving his death by possessing the body of a brain-dead patient? and then, somehow, having extensive plastic surgery to make himself look like he used to?
As Rogue, Fantomex and Mystique fought Shadow King astrally, chosen for their "fluidity" and as the battle is won, so they return. Almost.
Oh the issues regarding consent are going to be most discussed.
Meet X. Charles Xavier in the body of Fantomex. Hey, he was already called Charlie once, wasn't he?
Astonishing X-Men #6 by Charles Soule, Michael Del Mundo and Maco D'Alfonso is published by Marvel Comics today.
ASTONISHING X-MEN #6
(W) Charles Soule (A/CA) Michael Del Mundo
LIFE OF X CONCLUSION!
• We are trapped in the SHADOW KING's web. All strands have led here.
• We have seen sacrifice, battle, manipulation, lies and the darkest truths. Now, at last, CHARLES XAVIER and his X-Men will save one world and lose another.
Rated T+In Shops: Dec 06, 2017