Comic book conman Josh Hoopes is STILL sending out e-mails purporting to be from Art Adams. Here's the latest one, with a new Wizard-related twist:
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 02:41:07 -0700
Subject: limited time commissions
To:Hey there up and comers and Indy publishers……… I know you guys are familiar with my work but are wondering what am I doing applying? Not that I'm applying as i am offering the chance at using my services for a limited time for a very reduced rate. My and agent both agreed to do this for a select few through out the different talent sites. Those with new and good stories. For those not familiar with my work can find me. Art Adams art on various different web sites. Any questions let me know. commisions
Art AdamsP.S as well those chosen few will get a spotlight in an upcoming issue of WIZARD MAG!!
Hilariously, he still hasn't seen these articles on Bleeding Cool, as he is still e-mailing my own fake e-mail address asking what happened. You know what? Later today, I'm going to call him and see what happens.
Some have asked what they should do in order to avoid this situation. Here's some advice
1) When looking at an online portfolio, watch of for widely varying work, as if created by different artists.
2) Google the creator. do they have a history online?
3) Meet them face to face. See the physical work.
4) Don't think that Art Adams needs to post this kind of appeal to get work.
5) Don't pay in advance. Don't wire money. Find a traceable way as possible.
6) Draw the damn thing yourself!