Posted in: Disney+, Star Wars, Star Wars, streaming, Trailer, TV | Tagged: bleeding cool, bogwing, cable, disney, disney plus, glossary, medpac, moff, phrases, star wars, streaming, television, terms, The Mandalorian, tv
"The Mandalorian": Bleeding Cool's (Ongoing) Glossary of Terms/Phrases You Should Know [PART 8]
The Mandalorian is serving as the cornerstone of the original programming available at launch on Disney+. Its enticing mix of spaghetti westerns, epic samurai, and space wizard movies has an undeniable appeal.
The tight, spare dialogue of the series has its roots in the spaghetti westerns of the 60s and 70s, films that were shot for international release and often featured actors of varied nationalities who spoke dialogue on their native language that was later dubbed for release in the local language where the film would be exhibited. Less dialogue made for less time in the recording studio, so these movies were made to rely on the visual vocabulary of film instead of words.
Still, there is dialogue. It's often dense with Star Wars references, so some of them are explained below. (You can find the seven previous entries in our The Mandalorian glossary series here, here, here, here, here, here, and here):
● Charter of the New Republic: Guiding document of the New Republic which spells out basic rights as well as noting the ability of scavengers who find discarded items to stake a claim on them as their own.
● Neural Harness: The portion of a droid which contains its fundamental programming. Destroying the neural harness of a droid will not only disable it, but require that it be reprogrammed and retrained if a new harness is installed.
● Bogwing: Winged reptile native to Naboo that can carry nine times their own weight. These animals were also found on the swamp planet of Dagobah. It's likely Greef calls The Child is due to the size and shape of its ears that suggest wings.
● Common House: The name given for the cantina on Nevarro.
● Medpac: Common field treatment for injuries, these first aid kits are usually used to stop bleeding and treat for other common ailments.
● Chain Code: A scannable ID that includes a numeric element, the last four digits of which indicate the person's date of birth.
● Moff: A high-ranking Imperial officer in charge of a sector, there were 20 Moffs during the Empire who divided the area of the Galactic Empire among them. They reported to both the Imperial Council and the Grand Moff, a rank created first for Wilhuff Tarkin, the commander of the Death Star in An New Hope.
"Can I offer you a libation to celebrate the closing of our shared narrative?" – The Client
That quote deserves to be celebrated for its uncommon beauty whenever possible…