Despite its highly polarizing fan reception, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was a grand turning point in a franchise that's grown with its viewers over the past 40 years. For better or worse, Rian Johnson helmed a fascinating entry into the series, and the DVD/Blu-ray release for Episode IIX is right around the corner.
Today on Twitter, Johnson tweeted about his love for a 26-minute-long ABC News-produced documentary style look at the sound design and execution on The Last Jedi called The Force of Sound.
I love that ABC news piece so much. It's the sort of in depth but fun BTS that I loved discovering on tv, when I was a kid interested in movies.
— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) February 20, 2018
Here's the short doc he's talking about:
We're hoping the forthcoming home release of the film (with its long list of special features) has something half as engaging on it, since the majority of recent BTS offerings on big-time films have been largely disappointing.
Here's the full list of special features expected to be on the release, which is due out in March:
- The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it's like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
- Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
- Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
- Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie's malevolent master villain.
- Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie's final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis' riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
- Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi releases on DVD/Blu-Ray on March 27th.