FX took their moment in the sun at Monday's Television Critics Association (TCA) Winter press event to announce a series order for Y, the network's adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's post-apocalyptic DC Comics-Vertigo sci-fi comic book series Y: The Last Man. Co-created, written and executive produced by showrunners Michael Green (American Gods, Blade Runner 2049) and Aida Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Turn), the series stars Diane Lane (Man of Steel), Barry Keoghan (The Killing of a Sacred Deer), Imogen Poots (Roadies), Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession), Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete), and Amber Tamblyn (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants).
Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force (American Crime Story, Pose, Crazy Rich Asians) and Vaughan executive produce and will develop the series. Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None) directed the pilot episode and also serves as executive producer.
"Brian and Pia's exploration of a world without men is a favorite for its depth, its humor, its insights and its monkey. Adapted today it offers us a cracked mirror to look at our own very cracked world. We thank them for their trust — we thank FX for their support — and we thank the casting gods for letting us work with this incredible group of actors."
– Michael Green, Aida Mashaka Croal
Slated to premiere in 2020, Y finds all of the men dead. But one. Based on DC Comics' acclaimed series Y: The Last Man by Vaughan and Guerra, Y traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.
● Lane's Senator Jennifer Brown is a first-term Junior Senator who's already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics. She is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.
● Keoghan's Yorick Brown is a young man who uses humor to deflect from his problems – and who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.
● Poots' Hero Brown is a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.
● Lynch's Agent 355 is a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism – even under the most unexpected set of circumstances.
● Canfield's Beth is a Brooklyn-based knife maker who grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick; and when they're together, there's the undeniable spark of two kids in love.
● Ireland's Nora is the President's senior assistant and right hand – balancing a family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.
● Hutton serves as the President of the United States of America Callows.
● Tamblyn plays the daughter of the President of the United States, Mariette Callows has been groomed for a career in politics and to uphold her father's conservative values.
"Y: The Last Man is a towering achievement among graphic novel storytelling and it's been rewarding to work with this outstanding team. Michael Green and Aïda Mashaka Croal have partnered with Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson to deliver a stunning new expression of this fascinating and timely story. Melina Matsoukas, who directed the pilot, did an incredible job bringing it to life with Diane Lane and this stellar cast."
– Nick Grad, Co-President of Original Programming, FX Networks/FX Productions