Piranha Games revealed the latest expansion for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, as players will experience Legend Of The Kestrel Lancers. In what will be the biggest update to the game so far, they are progressing the storyline within the Inner Sphere a bit to bring more conflict to all the borders and beyond. The expansion will also come with a free update for everyone, which will kick in on September 23rd, 2021. Both the expansion and update are filled with "first-in-series" features focused on bringing a new experience and feel of gameplay to longtime fans, while giving new players a point of entry into the game if they're just starting out. We have more details on both below, along with a pair of trailers showing off the incoming conflicts and changes!
The Legend of the Kestrel Lancers expansion departs from the sandbox structure seen in past campaigns and offers a more story-focused experience set during the "Fourth Succession War," one of the most famous conflicts in BattleTech lore featuring 14 missions and seven "Battle Quests" featuring large-scale conflicts set on custom battle grounds. Improved urban warfare also awaits with Mega Cities that are significantly larger than any Urban Centers previously seen in the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. In addition, players can look forward to more All-Out War scenarios, designed to make your hulking squad of building-sized 'Mechs feel like part of a larger force in the field. All this comes with over 20 new Mech variants, new Jungle and Tourmaline Desert biomes, and a wide array of procedurally generated missions to take Mech warfare to the next level.
Players can also look forward to a free update to the base game, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries adding significant first-in-series features, including the introduction of Melee Combat! For the first time in MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, players will be able to get up-close and personal with rival Mechs with the ability to swing and punch. In addition, for the first time, players will be able to switch between any of the AI-controlled Lance 'Mechs on a mission. This seemingly small update introduces huge impacts on gameplay, essentially allowing the player to bounce between direct control of each Mech in their squad with the push of a button.
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries finds players in the battlefields of the future, dominated by BattleMechs, hulking machines of war capable of leveling entire cities. As the inheritor of a once-glorious Mercenary company, the quest for glory and revenge will stretch light years, chasing the threads of interstellar intrigue on the journey to become an elite MechWarrior and mercenary commander.
- Story Rich Campaign: Set during the "Fourth Succession War," one of the most famous periods of conflict in BattleTech lore, players can look forward to an epic 14-mission campaign complete with custom dialogue.
- Urban Warfare: Explore and destroy Mega Cities significantly larger than any Urban Centers previously in the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries.
- All-Out War: These grand-scale scenarios are designed to make the player feel like their Mercenary company is part of a larger force at play on the field of combat.
- New Biomes: The operatic scope of the campaign's original story calls for equally impressive environments. Players can look forward to exploring new Mega City, Jungle, and Tourmaline Desert biomes on their journey across the galaxy.
Base Game Update key features:
- Melee Combat: For the first-time, players will be able to swing and punch with close quarters mech-on-mech combat.
- Mech Switching: Take on full direct control of any AI-controlled Lance 'Mechs in any mission with the press of a button.