You can't say Bleeding Cool didn't see this coming. We warned you of the peril of big speeches. And just what the advertisements, solicitations and previews seemed to be suggesting. As the Kree/Skrull Armada was heading to Earth, that the real threat was closer to home. Indeed it is in orbit around them. Reading both Fantastic Four #23 and Empyre #1 out today get to spell it out, seemingly simultaneously. We get to thread them together, Empyrean-style.
Though neither Reed nor Franklin saw this coming in FF #22.
Up on the Moon, in Empyre #1, the Celestial Messiah Quoi of the Cotati has a message for his saviours and protectors against the Kree and Skrull assault.
While in FF #22, some Earth-based monks prepare a dark harvest.
In Empyre #1, the Cotati celebrate being saved by their protectors with a flowering.
On the Earth, in FF #22, the Dark Harvest make their move across Manhattan.
And on the Moon, the Cotati have a slightly different take on things, taking a rather aggressive move for a previously thought if as peaceful race. And those who the Avengers defended.
The monks are also preparing for a blossoming. And an attack. And on the Moon in Empyre #1, that's just what the rest of the Fantastic Four get.
On Earth, as it is in heaven…
The battle continues in Empyre #1. As the Avengers realised they may have erred slightly on this one…
The true voice of the Cotati is revealed.
As we said, in ancient cosmologies, the Empyrean Heaven, or simply the Empyrean, was the place in the highest heaven, which was supposed to be occupied by the element of fire (or aether in Aristotle's natural philosophy). 'The Empyrean' was used as a name for the firmament, and in Christian literature for the dwelling-place of God, the blessed, celestial beings so divine they are made of pure light, and the source of light and creation. At the very end of Dante's Paradiso, Dante visits God in the Empyrean. The Cotati on the Moon, seemingly the subject of Kree and Skrull wrath, have the Celestial Messiah amongst their number. This is a religious battle after all…
EMPYRE #1 (OF 6)
(W) Al Ewing, Dan Slott (A) Valerio Schiti (CA) Jim Cheung
• The Kree and the Skrulls have united under a new emperor – and their war fleet is on a collision course for our world.
• On the moon, the Avengers are ready to strike with the full power of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Approaching from outer space, the Fantastic Four are seeking a diplomatic solution.
• If the two teams can't work together to save the day, things can only get worse… Rated T+In Shops: Jul 15, 2020 SRP: $5.99
FANTASTIC FOUR #22 EMP
(W) Dan Slott (A) Paco Medina (CA) Nick Bradshaw
The return of the new Fantastic Four?!
• The events of EMPYRE threaten all life on Earth and the future balance of power throughout the cosmos!
• And the secret mission that the FF have placed into Valeria and Franklin's hands requires some big-league help! Rated T In Shops: Aug 05, 2020 SRP: $3.99