A couple days ago we told you about the Steve Ditko Amazing Spider-Man #12 splash which sold for $137,425, now here's some of the other results from this week's Heritage Auction:
Not the biggest number from the auction but one of the most eyebrow-raising and talked about is the sale of the cover for Rocket Raccoon #1 by Mike Mignola and Al Gordon from 1985 for $7170. Now, make no mistake… Mignola art commands solid prices in the current market, he's a popular artist with a lot of fans, and the artist himself has a good understanding of the market and prices his work accordingly when selling new/recent pieces. That said, it's unlikely this piece would have sold for anywhere near this amount before the Guardians of the Galaxy movie was announced, and the person who sold this via Heritage this week probably did pretty well on the sale.
Another one of the headline sales from this auction was the sale of the iconic Flash vs Flash Earth-1/Earth-2 crossover cover of Flash #137 by Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson from 1963 for $167,300. An excellent result for a historically-important piece which puts it inside the top 10 highest prices ever paid for an American line-art comic book cover at public auction — and at a glance, the highest price ever paid for a Silver Age DC cover at public auction.
There were plenty of other strong results in the auction, with one theme being the continued rise of Todd McFarlane art prices in the wake of this summer's blockbuster sale of the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #328 for $625,250. Here's a list of selected sales:
- Todd McFarlane The Incredible Hulk Poster Original Art (Marvel, 1989) — $35,850.00
- Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Amazing Heroes #4 Daredevil Cover Original Art (Fantagraphics, 1981) — $33,460.00
- Todd McFarlane The Amazing Spider-Man #325 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1989) — $83,650.00
- Dale Keown and Bob McLeod The Incredible Hulk #369 Freedom Force Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1990) — $19,120.00
- Todd McFarlane Batman #423 Cover Original Art (DC, 1988) — $71,700.00
- Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Journey Into Mystery #114 Thor vs. Absorbing Man Page 9 Original Art (Marvel, 1965) — $9,560.00
- Todd McFarlane The Amazing Spider-Man #322 Page 11 Original Art (Marvel, 1989) — $33,460.00
- Jack Kirby and Chic Stone X-Men #9 The First Avengers/X-Men Meeting and Battle Page 13 Original Art (Marvel, 1965) — $77,675.00
- Steve Ditko The Amazing Spider-Man #22 Princess Python Page 18 Original Art (Marvel, 1965) — $65,725.00
- Todd McFarlane Spider-Man #8 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1991) — $40,331.25
- Dave Cockrum Iron Fist #15 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1977) — $47,800.00
- Al Feldstein Weird Fantasy #8 "The Slave Ship" Cover Original Art (EC, 1951) — $80,662.50