Beginning in now, Niantic will cycle through the Legendary Birds of Kanto. This, of course, starts with uno: Articuno. With this Raid Guide, you can prepare a team to take on this Ice/Flying-type Legendary, perfect your catching strategy, and understand Articuno's Shiny odds.
Top Articuno Counters
Pokebattler, which calculates all possible combinations of Pokémon and moves, lists the top 10 Articuno counters as such:
- Shadow Tyranitar: Smack Down, Stone Edge
- Mega Aerodactyl: Rock Throw, Rock Slide
- Rampardos: Smack Down, Rock Slide
- Rhyperior: Smack Down, Rock Wrecker
- Terrakion: Smack Down, Rock Slide
- Shadow Omastar: Rock Throw, Rock Slide
- Tyranitar: Smack Down, Stone Edge
- Shadow Aggron: Smack Down, Stone Edge
- Shadow Aerodactyl: Rock Throw, Rock Slide
- Shadow Metagross: Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash
It is recommended to power up your counters as much as possible, but creating that amount of strong Shadow Pokémon with their moves unlocked is a tall order for even the most practiced players. Here are ten additional non-Shadow and non-Mega counters that can help take down Articuno with efficiency.
- Gigalith: Smack Down, Rock Slide
- Omastar: Rock Throw, Rock Slide
- Lycanroc Midnight Forme: Rock Throw, Stone Edge
- Alolan Golem: Rock Throw, Stone Edge
- Darmanitan: Fire Fang, Rock Slide
- Aerodactyl: Rock Throw, Rock Slide
- Excadrill: Metal Claw, Rock Slide
- Nihilego: Acid, Rock Slide
- Golem: Rock Throw, Stone Edge
- Reshiram: Fire Fang, Stone Edge
How Many Trainers Are Needed?
Articuno can be taken down by two experienced Trainers. If you cannot guarantee the top counters with maxed-out CP and the best moves, your best bet is to make sure you have four or more players.
Using the Circle Lock Technique to guarantee Great or Excellent throws, along with Golden Razz Berries, is the best way to catch Pokémon.
Shiny Odds & 100% IVs
Legendary Pokémon with their Shinies available have a Shiny rare of approximately one in 20.
When looking for a Pokémon with the best stats, the 100% IV Tapu Koko will have a CP of 1743 in normal weather conditions and 2179 in boosted conditions.
Happy raiding, fellow trainers!