Slowking is currently a Tier Three raid boss in Pokémon GO during the A Very Slow Discovery event. With this Raid Guide, you can prepare a team of the top counters to take on this Johto evolution of Slowpoke. Let's get into it.
Top Slowking Counters
Pokebattler, which calculates all possible combinations of Pokémon and moves, lists the top 10 Slowking counters as such:
- Mega Gengar (Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball)
- Shadow Raikou (Thunder Shock, Wild Charge)
- Mega Houndoom (Snarl, Foul Play)
- Shadow Electivire (Thunder Shock, Wild Charge)
- Shadow Magnezone (Spark, Wild Charge)
- Mega Manectric (Snarl, Wild Charge)*
- Shadow Weavile (Snarl, Foul Play)
- Shadow Tyranitar (Bite, Crunch)
- Shadow Zapdos (Thunder Shock, Thunderbolt)
- Darkrai (Snarl, Shadow Ball)
*Please note that only one Mega can be evolved at a time, so your best bet is to go with the top counter which is, in this case, Mega Houndoom. However, I would not personally recommend Mega Evolving anything for one Tier Three raid.
It is recommended to power up your counters as much as possible, but creating that amount of strong Shadow or Mega Pokémon with their moves unlocked is a tall order for even the most practiced players. Here are ten additional non-Shadow and non-Mega counters that can help take down Slowking with efficiency.
- Zekrom (Charge Beam, Wild Charge)
- Chandelure (Hex, Shadow Ball)
- Therian Forme Thundurus (Volt Switch, Thunderbolt)
- Raikou (Volt Switch, Wild Charge)
- Gengar (Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball)
- Origin Forme Giratina (Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball)
- Electivire (Thunder Shock, Wild Charge)
- Magnezone (Spark, Wild Charge)
- Weavile (Snarl, Foul Play)
- Zapdos (Thunder Shock, Thunderbolt)
How Many Trainers Are Needed?
Slowking can be defeated by solo trainers. To ensure that you don't waste time, Revives, and Potions, go in with the right counters powered up and situated with the right movesets.
Using the Circle Lock Technique to guarantee Great or Excellent throws, along with Golden Razz Berries, is the best way to catch Slowking. However, as Slowking is an evolved species, you may want to multiply the number of extra Candies it offers by trying your first few throws with Pinap Berries.
Slowpoke and Slowbro can be encountered in their Shiny forms, but Slowking cannot. To obtain Shiny Slowking, you must catch and then evolve a Shiny Slowpoke.
Happy raiding, fellow trainers!