Candyman is returning to theaters. Producer Jordan Peele will help bring the legend back to life, with director Nia DaCosta in the chair helming the project. No word yet on casting, but one would imagine Tony Todd will be back in some capacity. MGM will release the film in association with Universal and Peele's Monkeypaw Productions. Candyman originally hit screens in 1992, based on the Clive Barker short story The Forbidden. The film was set in the housing projects of Chicago, and this new film is being billed as a "spiritual sucessor" to the original, so look for it to be set there again.
MGM Group President Jordan Glickman had this to say about the announcement:
"We cannot wait for the world to see what the mind blowing combination of Jordan, Win and Nia bring to the legend of Candyman. They have created a story that will not only pay reverence to Clive Barker's haunting and brilliant source material but is also thoroughly modern and will bring in a whole new generation of fans," said Glickman.
Peele seems pretty giddy to get this one off the ground:
"The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre. Alongside Night of the Living Dead, Candyman was a major inspiration for me as filmmaker — and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the Candyman canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker's legend," said Peele.
This will be the forth Candyman film, following 1995's Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh and 1999's Candyman 3: Day of the Dead, both starring Todd. It is a little surprising not to see this one set up through Blumhouse Productions after the huge success Peele had with them and Get Out last year. Fans are getting more Candyman though, from fresh eyes and a female director though, and that is all that matters.
The untitled Candyman film will film this spring and will release on June 12, 2020.
First seen on Deadline