Janel Smith writes for Bleeding Cool:
Battlestar Galactica has been off the air for 8 years but it feels like just yesterday the franchise was resurrected and captivated our imaginations. The panel started with a reel of all of the times BSG has been referenced in pop culture. Also SYFY announced that it will be running a marathon on the show on the network starting in September but if you're like me you have already rewatched all of the episodes on HULU.
Edward James Olmos was not able to attend the panel that featured Michael Trucco, Tamoh Penikett, Grace Park, Mary Mcdonnell, and Tricia Helfer; but he sent in a video message. In the message he thanked the show runners David Eick and Ron Moore for their creativity while writing the show, the cast for being like family and the fans for their support.
One of the driving forces behind the reimagined series Richard Hatch unfortunately passed away early this year and his presence is sorely missed. Olmos had a second video message where he led the crowd in a So Say We All in tribute to Hatch.
Below are more highlights of the panel:
- Douglas the story of finding out that he was a cylon 4 months before he was supposed to and hiding the outlines down the front of his pants.
- Helfer talked about coaching her 6 stand ins despite being a very green actor at the time.
- President Roslyn/Trump parallels were made and Macdonell talked about the difficulty and isolation Roslyn felt and the weight of the hard decisions the character had to make.
- Penikett expresses his excitement to just be there and wished he could have worked with more of the rest cast.
- Trucco talked about the internet hate he received.
- Moore was asked If the show was running today what he would do and he said he would explore a crazy unqualified captain. To which Eick added that "Colluding with the enemy would apply"