The BBC's official Doctor Who channel released a trailer for Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 26 Blu-Ray and DVD box set, featuring Sophie Aldred as the 7th Doctor's (Sylvester McCoy) companion Ace.
All companions who leave or are left behind tend to carry an air of melancholy about them. They always wait in hope that he would come back for them. Ace seems to have more than most here.
Nobody realised it at the time, but Season 26 of Doctor Who was where the current era of the show really began. Its emphasis on deeper emotional arcs for the characters set the template for Russell T. Davies' revival of the show in 2005. Steven Moffat and Chris Chibnall also continued the template for the show when they took over as showrunners.
Box Set Details
As the official announcement on the Doctor Who website stated:
In 1989, Doctor Who was on a creative high, with the Seventh Doctor and his companion Ace revitalising the programme for a new generation. Season 26 featured four epic adventures traversing a future Britain invaded by inter-dimensional knights, a strange Victorian house haunted by ghosts from Ace's past, an alien world populated by Cheetah People and a 1940s army camp under siege from monstrous vampires.
With guest stars including Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), Anthony Ainley (The Master), Jean Marsh, Nicholas Parsons, Anne Reid, Ian Hogg, Sylvia Syms and comedy duo Hale & Pace, this fondly-remembered set of stories saw the end of an era for Doctor Who and set the stage for its hugely successful revival.
Special Features Galore
With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features, including:
- Rare Restored Extended Cuts– The Curse Of Fenric VHS Extended Version, The Curse Of Fenric DVD Special Edition, Battlefield VHS Extended Version and Battlefield DVD Special Edition
- 1 surround sound & isolated scores on all 14 broadcast episodes, plus 5.1 sound on all extended versions of The Curse Of Fenricand Battlefield.
- Behind the Sofa– new episodes with Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, plus companions Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Anneke Wills and Jodie-Whittaker-era writers Pete McTighe & Joy Wilkinson.
- Showman – the Life of John Nathan-Turner– a feature-length look at the life and career of Doctor Who's longest-serving producer, who fought to keep the programme on-air during the 1980s. Contributors include Peter Davison and Colin Baker.
- Making 'The Curse of Fenric'– a brand new documentary featuring Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Tomek Bork, Nicholas Parsons, Cory Pulman, Marek Anton, Ian Briggs, Andrew Cartmel, Mark Ayres and Ian Collins featuring unseen behind-the-scenes footage and photographs.
- In Conversation– Matthew Sweet chats to companion Sophie Aldred.
- The Writers' Room– Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt, Ian Briggs, Rona Munro and Andrew Cartmel discuss their work on Season 26.
- Becoming The Destroyer– Actor Marek Anton and prosthetics designer Stephen Mansfield recall the creation of one of Doctor Who's best-ever monsters.
- Plus: Brand new Ghost Light extended workprint, unseen studio footage, rare archive treats, convention footage, HD photo galleries, scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files and other gems from the archive in PDF.
- The seven-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.