One of the best appointments we had during the second day of E3 this year was checking in with Psyonix and playing Rocket League's new updates! The Radical Summer event, which we have more details of below along with screenshots and trailers, is one of the biggest updates the devs have added to the game since its conception. Several '80s licenses have been acquired for you to play as Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters, or the DeLorean from Back to the Future. Each with their own little nuances thrown in to make them light up the course. With it comes a few new modes on the way, the first being the Ghostbusters-themed track where you need skilly to drag the ball to a certain point and keep it there for three seconds, or the revised Beach Ball mode as it plays a lot differently than other balls. The one we played at E3 was the new Spikes mode, which is the Rocket League version of Rugby. This is an amazing package that will get me back into playing the game more frequently this summer!
● '80s Blockbusters – June 10 to July 1
○ The Blockbusters celebration kicks off Radical Summer with the launch of the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Car Pack on June 10. The
pack will include the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Battle-Car, Ecto-1 Wheels, Proton Pack Boost, Slimer Topper, Ghostbusters Player Banner, Ghostbusters Avatar Border, and the Stay Puft Goal Explosion for $1.99 (or regional equivalent).
○ The first limited-time game mode for Radical Summer is Ghost Hunt. In this spooky 3v3 mode players must fire a proton stream to capture the ball and carry it to the opposing team's Containment Zone to score a goal.
○ Additional '80s franchises featured in the Blockbusters phase — as in-game items in the Radical Summer Event Store — are Back to the Future, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The Goonies and Karate Kid. Additional details on the landing page.
● '80s Culture – July 1 to July 22
○ The action-packed Spike Rush Game Mode will start the Radical Summer Culture celebration on July 1. Spike Rush is a 3v3 mode where each player has the Spike power-up from Rumble Mode that can be activated to carry the ball up field.
○ New in-game items highlighting the iconic culture of the '80s will be available in Radical Summer's Event Store.
● '80s Television – July 22 to August 12
○ The Knight Rider Car Pack kicks off the last celebration of Radical Summer dedicated to television. The pack will feature K.I.T.T., the high-speed, talking futuristic car outfitted with high-tech gadgets and personality of its own from the hit '80s show, alongside Knight Rider themed items. More information will be revealed later.
○ Beach Ball Game Mode is the final limited-time game mode in Radical Summer. It is a 2v2 mode inspired by beach volleyball with a larger ball, low ball gravity and Curveball mutator activated.
○ Additional '80s franchises featured in the Television phase as in-game items in the Radical Summer Event Store are DreamWorks Voltron Legendary Defender and WWE. Additional info to follow later this summer.