The world seems like a terrible and strange place sometimes, but fandom still brings us together. These are strange times, but The Daily LITG is becoming a valuable way to quantify just what comic book geek culture is up to in this time of trial. Yesterday there was a confluence of retailer response to DC distribution changes courtesy of Mile High Comics and Impulse Creations, Gerry Conway's reaction to how police use the Punisher skull and Marvel liquidating a bunch of omnibuses, while Warren Ellis turned up the gay notch on Marvel Illustrated Swimsuit Special. Welcome all, to the daily Lying In The Gutters, a long-running run around the day before and the day ahead. You can sign up to receive it as an e-mail here.
Mile High Comics – the ten most-read stories yesterday
Bleeding Cool continues to report from the comics industry shutdown, as it starts to ramp up, while everyone instead gets excited. But it was Chuck Rozanski of Mile High Comics who still got the most attention. Here are the ten top stories of the day.
- Mile High Comics Launches 'DC Sucks' 50% Off Sale
- Magic: The Gathering Commander Rules Change Forthcoming
- Cowboy Bebop Writer: Netflix Adapt Won't "Scarlett Johansson" Anime
- Marvel Comics Liquidates 32 Omnibuses to Comic Book Stores
- The Walking Dead Has Message for Fans Bothered By Its BLM Support
- Warren Ellis Remembers When Marvel Illustrated Swimsuit Went Gay
- Funko Layoffs Will Now Include Funko Funkast And Social Staff
- Punisher Creator Gerry Conway Looks to Reclaim Punisher Skull Logo
- Star Wars The Last Jedi "Broom Boy" Shoots His Shot On Returning
- DC Comics Leaves Diamond and The Earth Still Continues to Revolve
FOC, one year ago
- John Byrne Won't Let Marvel Publish His X-Men Fan-Fic Comic, Elsewhen
- Immortal Hulk Still Outselling Batman
- "NCIS" Pauley Perrette "Not Coming Back;" Cites Mark Harmon as Reason
- Incredible Hulk Suicide Page Pulled by Marvel From Print Edition of Last Call
- Now Retailer Dennis Barger Banned From Diamond Events
- The First 5 Pages of Blade Runner 2019 #1 – Like Tears In The Rain…
Comic Book Events happening today
There would also have been signings, appearances, symposia, all manner of comic book-related events. But a few have gone online, and here are some still happening today, on the Daily LITG.
- ComicSTREAMvasion: Comic Artists Meetup / Comicstammtisch Online by Comic Invasion Berlin and RENATE, 9 –10 PM UTC+02
- Cartooning & Comics by Creative Cauldron, 3:30 – 4:30 PM EDT
Comic Book birthdays today
There may not be much of a party atmosphere right now. All depends on which state you are living in. But comic folk are still getting older and still celebrating that special date. With eleven years for us as well.
- Jim Stewart, creator of Ganjaman.
- Michael Higgins, Marvel writer, artist, letterer, editor
- David Seidman, founder of Disney Comics.
- Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert.
- Brandon Jerwa, writer on Battlestar Galactica, Highlander, G.I. Joe and Army of Darkness.
- Ciarán Marcantonio, EIC of Black Sheep Comics
- Martin Shapiro, creator of Chopper.
- Adam Casey, creator of The Life And Adventures of Santa Claus.
Subscribe to our LitG Daily Mailing List
Interested in more debate about Mile High Comics or anything else? Subscribe to our LitG Daily Mailing List. And we'll see you here tomorrow.