Welcome to the pretty-much-mostly-daily Lying In The Gutters. A run around the day before and the day ahead. You can sign up to receive it as an e-mail here.
And yes, it's about a year since once story hit the news cycle, first reported by Bleeding Cool, then rocketing through the system until it hit US late-night talk shows. The impact of a full frontal Batman in the first issue of Batman: Damned by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo on the new publisher, Pamela Lifford, caused massive ructions across DC Comics, as books were cut, dropped or picked up by other publishers. It killed imprints such as Young Animal, Vertigo, Zoom and Ink, as imprints would indicate nothing more than age range – and the upper ceilings of those age ranges were dropped. Its effect is still very present today.
The 10 most-read stories yesterday
- Marvel Promises a Very Different Marvel Universe in 2020, With Iron Man and Incoming
- Has DC Comics Just Created Its Very Own Rick And Morty?
- When Storm Welcomed Back Jean Grey in House Of X #5 – and in Uncanny X-Men #242
- COSPLAY 9-1-1: 5 Things This Cosplayer Needs You to Know [OPINION]
- "Black Desert Online" Brings Back "Season Of The Hunt" Next Week
- DC Cancels Orders for Brian Azzarello's Birds Of Prey, Will Resolicit as Black Label Comic Alongside Movie
- "The Stand": Whoopi Goldberg Reveals New Mother Abagail Hairdo
- House Of X/Powers Of X Hardcover Jumps a Hundred Pages and Another Ten Bucks
- Full Marvel Comics December 2019 Solicitations… 2099 and 2020 are Incoming…
- Walt Simonson Returns to Thor in December
What's happening today?
- Cincinnati Comic Expo, Duke Energy Convention Center, Cincinnati, Ohio until Sunday.
- Big Texas Comicon, San Antonio, Texas until Sunday.
- Jerry Craft signing New Kid at Bulletproof Comics , Brooklyn, New York, 5pm.
And a happy birthday to:
- Josh Geppi, President of ComicWow
- Martin Hirchak of MPH Comics
- Jason Walz, comic creator of Last Pick.
- Comic book illustrator Job Yamen
- Gary Dunaier of the Museum of Comic & Cartoon Art
- Comic writer B. Alex Thompson
- Kristen Koerner Simon, Director of Content at Atomic Crush Events
And a year ago…
- Bleeding Cool Brings You Batman's Penis In All Its Batglory From Batman: Damned #1
- Nightwing May Be Losing His Dick But Batman Is Getting One
- DC Comics Censors Batpenis in Digital Versions of Batman: Damned
- Thor and Hulk, Sitting in a Tree, D-A-T-I-N-G?
- It's "The Wade Boggs Challenge 2.0" in FXX's 'Always Sunny' Preview