GLAAD has announced its nominees for its 2014 awards for the treatment of gay characters and themes, including for comic books. The awards usually favour the mainstream familiar comic books over the more personal works. But it makes for an entertaining list.
They also credit the writers over the artist, with the following nominee list.
- Batwoman, written by W. Haden Blackman, J.H. Williams III, Marc Andreyko
- Fearless Defenders, written by Cullen Bunn
- Husbands, written by Jane Espenson, Brad Bell
- Life With Archie, written by Paul Kupperberg
- Young Avengers, written by Kieron Gillen
Batwoman featured a lead lesbian character in a committed relationship. It was criticised
for dropping the marriage plot, but hiring a gay writer after Blackman and Williams walked may have won some kudos back. Fearless Defenders introduced a new lesbian character and plots to storylines, making it a focus with Valkyrie, Husbands, spinning off the web series was about two gay newlyweds Brady and Cheeks, who woke up legally wed after a drunken Vegas weekend. Life With Archie continued plots including Kevin Keller and Young Avengers, well…