Darksiders 3 may have had the same action and intensity as the previous games in the series, but in trying to keep the game fresh, developers may have gone a bit too far in tweaking the combat. Many of the changes to Darksiders 3 made the combat much more like Dark Souls and other action RPGs. While I've enjoyed the new system, plenty of Darksiders fans were not pleased to find the combat so changed.
A new patch added to the game will add a classic combat mode to make Darksiders 3 play more like the original Darksiders and Darksiders 2. Essentially, the new "classic" combat mode will allow players to do things like dodge or cancel attacks, and even use items instantly rather than wait through the animation.
You can change the combat mode on the fly during the game and it won't have any effect on difficulty or achievements, so feel free to swap back and forth to figure out which you like.
The complete patch notes include other changes, like an increased level cap and new checkpoints:
- Added new option for Combat. Upon loading a save or starting a new game, players will be prompted to choose between "Default" and "Classic" combat. "Classic" mode should feel more like previous Darksiders titles allowing Fury to dodge interrupt her attacks as well use items instantly. "Default" mode is the original combat mode for Darksiders III. The option can be changed at any point in gameplay options while playing. This has no other effects on difficulty or achievements.
- Improved ledge grab detection on Fury so she can more consistently grab ledges.
- Additional optimizations to help stuttering while streaming.
- Added "Health Lurcher" item to Vulgrim that allows player to purchase refills for Nephilim's Respite .
- Added "Echo Mark" item to Vulgrim that allows player to refund their spent attribute points.
- Added a few new checkpoints.
- Raised the level cap to 200. Also, rebalanced leveling curve post level 80 as well as stat rewards..
- Fixes for random crashes
- General performance improvements.
- Fix for Force Coral where it wouldn't break correctly. This will also fix previous saves with this issue.
- Fix for some checkpoints that weren't registering.
- Cycling difficulty options while in game will not affect actual difficulty unless it is changed.
- Fix for Abraxis Health bar showing up but he is missing.
- Fury will no longer take damage while performing an Arcane Counters.
- Havoc Form does more Damage.
- Increased Havoc Generation on Obscurus Enhancement.
- Increased Health and Damage amounts on Fortifier Enhancement.
- Increased Health Regeneration on Leviathan Enhancement.
- Increased Lurcher Reward from destroying breakables on Leviathan Enhancement.
- Increased Chance to Spawn Wrath when killing an Enemy on Rage Enhancement.