If you're a member of the WWE UNIVERSE who just can't get enough of WWE's weekly televised SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT programs featuring the WWE SUPERSTARS, you're in luck! Answering the universal fan outcry that there just isn't enough professional wrestling on TV each week, NBCUniversal, the television conglomerate which owns the USA Network on which Monday Night Raw and Smackdown Live air each week has announced a new advertising initiative that will reduce the total amount of commercial time across its networks while attempting to improve the quality of that advertising.
"Sometimes, a little bit less means a whole lot more," said NBCUniversal executive Linda "The Crusher" Yaccarino. "The industry knows that television is already the most effective advertising medium there is, but we need to make the experience better for viewers. We promised some big swings last fall to move our industry forward and this is the first one. Now, NBCUniversal is advancing the TV experience as consumer behavior has evolved: lower ad loads, more innovation and more targeting. We're reimagining the advertising experience for consumers, marketers, and the entire industry."
What that means for you, the pro wrestling fan, is that the 3+ hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown Live that air each week will be able to devote even more of their time to things like Roman Reigns' opening promos, as well as recaps later in the night of what happened during Roman Reigns' opening promo, and speculation on what Roman Reigns might do later in the night or at the next PPV. More time can be devoted to backstage segments detailing authority figure drama and Kurt Angle flubbing lines. And yeah, we guess, if they run out of all that other stuff, there could potentially be more time devote to actual wrestling.
Below, see a rundown of NBCUniversal's plans from the press release:
STARTING THIS FALL
NBCUniversal's audiences will see fewer, better ads that are more relevant than ever before. Less clutter and less ad time means there's space for more. More premium content, more opportunity, and more commercial innovation.
· NBCUniversal will reduce the number of ads across its networks by 20%, and total ad time by 10% in Prime Originals across the entire portfolio.
· The company is making reductions in more than 50 Primetime original shows across its entire portfolio.
· Research shows that innovative advertising products increase consumer engagement by more than 20%.
· NBCUniversal will also unveil a suite of innovative new ad products including Interactive Picture in Picture and Social Commercials and Social First Pods.
· Contextually targeted ads fuel greater consumer conversion and NBCUniversal will use a new artificial intelligence (AI)-based contextual content targeting product that combs through scripts and data sources to make every ad that much more contextually relevant to its audience.
More Relevant Ads:
· NBCUniversal will use its unparalleled technology, tools, talent and creative capabilities to help clients' advertisements resonate the most and deliver them in new ways.
· NBCUniversal has created a new 60 second "PRIME POD" of National ad time in the first or last break of a show.
· This transformative new pod, which will be dedicated to up to two advertisers, combines the power of fewer, better, and more contextually relevant ads, and gives clients a unique opportunity to connect with audiences in the most effective, exciting, and efficient way.