Nintendo's latest update for Arms could have some awesome implications for eSports players, or at least anyone looking to formally play the game in an eSports setting.
Below are the complete notes for the 3.1 update for the game, which includes a new "Sparring Ring" level that, according to some keenly-eyed Reddit users, fits the parameters of what would be considered an eSports friendly arena. No traps, no boosters, no unfair levels, etc. Even if Nintendo takes a hands-off approach like they've done in the past, they've still set up the game for promoters and organizers looking to break into the Switch-exclusive title with a stage anyone can play Arms competitively on with no advantages.
- The versus stage Sparring Ring can now be selected.
- It's a square stage without gimmicks, used in the Warm-Up minigame.
- Enjoy some serious bouts while enjoying the soundtrack of the ARMS Official Song (Electro-dance Ver.).
- Sparring Ring will also appear as a stage in Ranked Match.
- Fixed an issue in Hedlok Scramble where sometimes Guardian and Clapback ARMS would fail to expand.
- Fixed issue where the rewards for 1-on-100 would change if played while searching for a Ranked Match.
Plus the following character and arms balance changes:
- Ninjara: After getting some advice from a Ninja College alum, distance traveled when performing a mid-air mist warp has increased. Mid-air mist warp" refers to the ninja technique performed by dashing after jumping.
- Sparky: Increased retraction speed.
- Megawatt: Increased extension speed.
- Slamamander: Increased extension speed. / Decreased retraction speed.
- Biffler: Increased retraction speed.
- Blorb: Increased retraction speed. / Adjusted how damage multipliers for Rush attacks function.Total damage when connecting with all hits is unchanged.
- Funchuk: Increased the time span from exceeding a target until retraction. / Adjusted how damage multipliers for Rush attacks function. Total damage when connecting with all hits is unchanged. / Fixed issue during online play when Rush damage would increase under certain conditions. / Fixed an issue where at times an opponent's throw could be deflected with a successfully completing throw attack.
- Clapback: Decreased Rush attack damage.
- Chilla: Decreased curving.
- Phoenix, Thunderbird: Decreased homing.
- Nade, Tribolt, Chakram: Decreased speed of charge attacks.