Informa Tech, the primary organizer of the Game Developers Conference (GDC), has revealed the Independent Games Festival Awards finalists for 2023. As usual, the event will be held during GDC at San Francisco's Moscone Convention Center from March 20th–24th. The IGFA has revealed the six finalists for the Seumas McNally Grand Prize, which we have listed for you below. We're waiting to see what other awards will be presented during the event, but for now, here's what we have.
- TUNIC by TUNIC Team is nominated for Excellence in Audio, Excellence in Visual Arts, and the Seumas McNally Grand Prize. TUNIC is an action-adventure starring a heroic little fox who sets about exploring a foreign land brimming with colossal beasts, strange and powerful items, and long-lost secrets around every corner.
- Betrayal At Club Low by Cosmo D Studios is nominated for Excellence in Design, the Nuovo Award (the award that "makes the jurors think differently about games as a medium") and the Seumas McNally Grand Prize. Set in the eponymous former coffin factory-turned-nightclub, Betrayal At Club Low is an indie-tabletop-inspired RPG with tactile dice-driving gameplay that gives players multiple ways to approach each undercover mission and tense decisions (and consequences) at every turn.
- The Case of the Golden Idol (also nominated for Excellence in Design) by Color Gray Games is a new kind of detective game that allows you to think and investigate freely. Discover clues surrounding 12 strange and gruesome deaths and build your own theory. Pick your suspect, deduce the motive, and unmask the awful truth.
- IMMORTALITY (also nominated for Excellence in Narrative) by Sam Barlow and Half Mermaid Productions is a haunting new game from the creator of Her Story. Players use the cinematic ability to teleport from scene to scene via match-cut to explore a treasure trove of newly unearthed footage from the lost films of film actor Marissa Marcel, who has gone missing. Match cut your own path through the footage and solve the mystery: WHAT HAPPENED TO MARISSA MARCEL?
- Neon White (also nominated for Excellence in Design) by Angel Matrix is a lightning-fast single-player speedrunning FPS where you can sacrifice your guns for godlike parkour moves.
- Not For Broadcast by NotGames puts players in control of the National Nightly News as a radical government comes to power. In this immersive, high-pressure propaganda sim, you control what the people see and determine what's Not For Broadcast.