Today begins one of the strangest events in Pokémon GO history… Magikarp Community Day. This Pokémon may not have been what anyone expected, and it's Shiny may have already been released years ago, but the day may still make a wave with its bonuses, a Special Research story, and the way it may prepare trainers for Mega Evolution by offering hundreds of chances at a powerful Gyarados. Optimize the event with Bleeding Cool's Magikarp Community Day Guide.
Shiny Magikarp and Gyarados
Community Day Pokémon have a shiny rate of one in 25, so Pokémon GO trainers who play the entire event will undoubtedly catch multiple Shiny Magikarp and accrue enough Candy to evolve as many as they'd like into Gyarados, even with the hefty cost of 400 Magikarp Candy.
Triple Catch Stardust
Magikarp is a common Shiny for trainers to have, as it was the first released in the game as has been featured in many events since its introduction… but not all is lost in Magikarp Community Day. The six-hour event will feature three-times catch Stardust, the most coveted bonus in the game. Grinding these six hours could earn trainers hundreds of thousands worth of increased Stardust, so be sure to put on those Star Pieces and Incenses.
Making a Splash Research
Magikarp Community Day has already begun in earlier timezones, so the entirety of the Making a Splash research story has leaked.
- Power-up Pokémon 10 times: 10 Poké Balls
- Catch 15 Magikarp: 20 Magikarp Candies
- Make 5 Nice Throws: Magikarp with a Shiny chance
- REWARDS: 2000 Stardust, 10 Pinap Berries, Magikarp with a Shiny chance
- Catch 15 Magikarp: 50 Magikarp Candies
- Transfer 10 Pokémon: 500 Stardust
- Use 15 Pinap Berries while catching Pokémon: 1000x XP
- REWARDS: 2000 Stardust, 1 Incense, 1 Poffin
- Make 3 Great Curveball Throws: 50 Magikarp Candies
- Evolve a Magikarp: 5 Golden Razz Berries
- Transfer 10 Pokémon: 1500 XP
- REWARDS: 2000 Stardust, 1 Incense, 1 Rocket Radar
- AUTO CLAIM: 5000 Stardust
- AUTO CLAIM: 1500 XP
- AUTO CLAIM: 5 Silver Pinap Berries
- REWARDS: 2000 Stardust, 3 Rare Candy, Gyarados
Community Day Box
Last but not least, the Community Day Box this month isn't cheap, but has an Elite Charged TM in it. If you TMed Frustration away from your Shadow Mewtwo during GO Fest 2020, this would be a great opportunity to give it the powerful move of Shadow Ball, which can be used to counter the current raid boss Deoxys.