The final item in WB's SDCC plans for today is the release of SyFy's Krypton teaser, which leaked a while ago. That said, the SyFy panel at San Diego Comic Con is the first place we've seen it through official channels, and now the folks at home can go ahead and enjoy the pre-Superman madness.
Because this is something of a pre-quel, no prior knowledge of Superman is required, just highly recommended, as the show will focus on the Man of Steel's grandfather. It will take place on the titular world of Krypton, which we all know to be Supes' birth planet. As this is a SyFy show, many might have their doubts, but they've been doing pretty alright with Dark Matter and Magicians, so I'm going to go ahead and say this looks like it'll be a good show.
The teaser is a first-look teaser for the upcoming Warner Horizon Scripted Television drama Krypton, which based on the DC characters. The text accompanying the trailer announcement reads, "It's time to discover the secrets of this lineage. The House of El will be redeemed. KRYPTON is coming to SYFY in 2018."
Set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel's home planet, Krypton follows Superman's grandfather (Cameron Cuffe, The Halcyon) — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family's honor and save his beloved world from chaos. Krypton premieres in 2018 on SYFY.
The known cast so far includes:
- Cameron Cuffe as Seg-El: Superman's grandfather; athletic, quietly confident, and in his 20s. A younger version of the "grumpier" character from the comics.
- Georgina Campbell as Lyta Zod: A reluctant cadet and warrior in the Kryptonian military, in a clandestine, forbidden relationship with Seg-El.
- Ian McElhinney as Val-El: Seg's grandfather, who defied death by going to the Phantom Zone and is a staunch believer in space exploration.
- Elliot Cowan as Daron-Vex: The chief magistrate of Kandor, charged with defending Krypton's oligarchy.
- Ann Ogbomo as Alura Zod: The Primus of the Kryptonian military guild and mother of Lyta. Alura shares her first name with Alura Zor-El, the mother of Supergirl.
- Rasmus Hardiker as Kem: An engineer and Seg's best friend.
- Wallis Day as Nyssa-Vex: A junior magistrate and the daughter of Daron-Vex.
- Aaron Pierre as Dev-Em: A "chiseled, twenty-something bad boy".
Ter-El, Seg's father, is also expected to appear, but no official plans on Ter-El's appearance or casting has been made available just yet.