Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios have announced the console launch of Neverwinter: the Heart of Fire which features Penny Arcade's Acquisitions Incorporated.
Acqusitions Inc. is a fictional adventurers guild for Dungeons & Dragons created by Penny Arcade founder Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, which has spawned several different D&D campaigns, all of which are streamed for fans to watch. The Heart of Fire campaign for Neverwinter was written by Holkins and Krahulik, which is set in the Forgotten Realms, and stars some fan-favorite Acquisitions Inc. characters like Omin Dran, Jim Darkmagic, and Walnut Dankgrass which are voiced by Holkins, Krahulik, and Amy Falcone respectively.
The new campaign offers players the opportunity to join the famed adventuring company and become a full-fledged member of Acquisitions Inc.
Players have access to The Heart of Fire content at level 15, with various missions included through the leveling experience. So you might actually want to start a new character to get the full enjoyment out of the Acquisitions Inc. campaign. The story challenges players to seek out a relic known as the Heart of Fire, meanwhile, Omin Dran and Jim Darkmagic assign players with dangerous tasks for minimal pay. Those fetchquests will include things like infiltrating a Beholder convention in a tank disguise, fulfilling the wishes of a mountain-sized giant from the deck of the company airship, to thwarting a heist at the Manycoins Bank in a new endgame skirmish.
You can find Acquisitions Inc inside Protector's Enclave, which allows adventurers to own a workshop as a base of operations as part of the overhauled Professions system.
Other updates included with The Heart of Fire include:
- The Heart of Fire Storyline – The minds behind the popular Penny Arcade games and gaming culture webcomic lend their wit to the latest Acquisitions Incorporated storyline. Become a member of the infamous company of adventurers and engage in questionable activities alongside Omin Dran (Jerry Holkins), Jim Darkmagic (Mike Krahulik) and Walnut Dankgrass (Amy Falcone).
- New Campaign: Acquisitions, Incorporated – It's not all dressing up as 11-eyed monsters and coasting through the brisk skies on the company airship. The newest campaign levels up with the player and puts an emphasis on acquiring items including new boons and access to the new endgame Skirmish.
- New Skirmish: Manycoins Bank Heist – Beyond the internship stage of their tenure with Acquisitions Incorporated, players will be given the opportunity – nay, the duty – to defend the Manycoins Bank vault from Zhentarim intruders seeking riches of the realm. Surely, there is good pay in protecting the Protector's payload.
- Professions Overhaul – The Seven Suns Coster Market acknowledges certain adventurers' acuity to the economic arts – and now beginning at level 20, players may now own a workshop, hire artisans to gather resources and craft items in the reworked, more personalized Professions system.
- Salvage and Dungeon End Chest Changes – Astral Diamonds given as rewards has changed! Earn the coveted currency directly through dungeon delves as well as completing content. Dungeon Chest Keys will no longer be required to open chests and have been converted into tokens for free end-of-dungeon rerolling. This may also be done with Astral Diamonds. Finally, the Salvage feature has been phased out with this update.
- Class Balance Updates – In a continued effort to ensure the game is fun for everyone and each class is viable, a wide variety of changes have been made to class powers and general balance. Check the official Neverwinter blog for patch notes and more details.
- Loot Experience Improvements – Much of the loot gathered throughout the Forgotten Realms is now automatically added to a player's inventory when they are in close proximity. Need/Greed rolls still pop up as needed. Fewer treasure (vendor loot) items drop and other less-desired loot no longer drops. Check The Heart of Fire's patch notes for even more detailed information.
You can check out the official launch trailer for Neverwinter: the Heart of Fire below.