It looks like Epic Games is letting you see exactly what you're purchasing in Fortnite loot boxes, but only in a specific mode that isn't the most popular version. When the next update rolls around for the game (7.3.0), the developers are going to allow you to see exactly what's inside every llama you could purchase in the V-bucks store through a system they call the X-Ray Llamas. However, the option will only be available in Save The World mode and not in others like say…Fortnite's battle royale mode. It also will prevent you from purchasing multiple llamas at a time, which is the trade-off. Mini llamas and event llamas will be left alone. Many have speculated online that the reason it's not in battle royale is that Epic Games knows that's their cash-cow, and will do nothing to disrupt the flow of income if people choose to buy loot boxes there. Here's a little more info on how this will work in Fortnite:
How will this work?
- Llamas prices remain the same, and llamas can still be earned through gameplay.
- The price doesn't change when the llama upgrades – you can see the upgrade before you purchase, and any item can come from the cheapest Llama. You can wait and find your favorite weapon in a 50 V-Buck llama, with no guessing!
- The items offered are based on your account in order to apply dupe prevention.
- Dupe Prevention: Introduced in the v5.10 Patch, after the Llama has determined the item rarity and type of drop (Epic or Legendary Hero, Weapon, or Schematic) it will select an item from that category that is not already in your inventory or Collection Book. This applies to Epic, Legendary and Mythic Heroes, Epic and Legendary Schematics and Mythic Lead Survivors.
- Example: This means that if the Llama picks Legendary (rarity) Shotgun (type), for example, it will give you a Legendary Shotgun you do not already have. If you have all of the legendary Shotguns, it will give you a duplicate Shotgun. It will not pick from another category.
- Specific items can still be directly purchased with earnable in-game resources.
- All the fun of opening Llamas, and only the items you want!
You will no longer be able to purchase multiple V-Buck Llamas at once when this feature launches. We are making this change so we can show you the rewards of each Llama one at a time, which gives you more choice in the Llamas you decide to open.