"FIFA 20" Brings Back Street Football at EA Play
While EA announced that EA Sports FIFA 20 will launch on September 27, 2019 yesterday, they held the proper release trailer for today. The trailer hit at the start of EA Play, while further details on the game came during the FIFA segment of their stream programming.
The game includes VOLTA Football again for the first time in years, so you'll be able to do proper 1v1 matches.
You can also play as a male or female character, for the first time in a FIFA game. You can also customize your player with street clothes, tattoos, and facial hair to really capture that street game feel.
As for the gameplay, the dev team has released a brand new feature set, which they dubbed "Football Intelligence" which changes the way players will handle being on the ball and off the ball.
- On the ball – you have new attacking and defending abilities in 1v1 moments. There will be less AI defensive support from your teammates for these moments, so you will need to learn and love these new tools, regardless of playstyle. Those new abilities are:
- Composed Finishing – FIFA 20 will give players more consistent shooting, where more difficult shots are easier to miss.
- Strafed Dribbling – players will get more precise control of the ball while dribbling and defending.
- Penalty Kicks – you can add spin to your penalty kicks with a lot more control, using a thumbstick.
- Controlled Tackling – using the Active Touch system, players will have several new tackling elements to take advantage of.
- Off the ball – you have a rear-detecting game view, which gives more time and space to the dribbler, so you can get more 1v1 moments. This is EA's attempt to force players into being more skilled and technical in their approach to the game.
- Ball physics are also being changed up for FIFA 20, to add new level of realism with varied shot trajectories, more realistic tackle interactions, and physics-driven behavior.
FIFA 20 is also making changes based off player feedback, by tweaking balance to better reflect the player's individual stats which will change up some of the core mechanics and pacing of the game.
That said, details on the career mode and pro clubs will be coming at a later date. Today's stream was all about VOLTA and a few key balance updates. If you missed it, you can check out the full reveal stream here. Otherwise, the new FIFA 20 VOLTA Football trailer is below.
EA sent out a press release shortly after the FIFA 20 stream which included a statement by EA Sports FIFA Executive Producer Aaron McHardy:
This year, we are embedding a whole new experience with VOLTA Football into the game that reflects how many footballers started out their careers in the streets. This is a unique aspect of the sport that gives our players an experience unlike anything they have ever seen before in EA SPORTS FIFA. We've also focused on delivering key gameplay updates that raise the level of realism and quality across the game. And with small sided football ingrained in FIFA 20, players can take the learnings from the streets and apply them to the stadium or vice versa.
Additionally, they added more information on the game's pre-orders:
Players who pre-order** the EA SPORTS FIFA 20 Ultimate Edition for the PS4, Xbox One and PC will receive 3 days Early Access to FIFA 20, a 5 game loan ICON Player Pick (mid version) for their FIFA Ultimate Team™ squad, up to 24 Rare Gold Packs, and Special Edition FUT Kits. As a bonus, those who pre-order** before August 5, 2019 will also receive an untradeable FUT 20 Ones To Watch Player item. More pre-order** details are available .