I'd like to start this article off with a slight retraction to a date I mentioned yesterday – with all of the things happening for Magic: The Gathering: Arena, sometimes it's awfully hard to keep track of what's going on and what is not. Therefore, I'd like to mention that the "Giant Opportunity" I mentioned yesterday is not yet online. It also therefore won't end tomorrow, September 25th. I apologize for the misinformation.
However, the bright side about this is that there's still plenty of time to prepare for not only the event where players can temporarily use every card in Standard to their best potential but also for the event where players will compete (with their own cards) for a full set of Standard cards. The dates and informational guidelines are as such:
On September 26th at 8:00 PM, up until October 1st at 8:00 AM (all in Pacific Daylight Time), you can participate in an event where all Standard-legal cards are available to all players participating. This event can only be entered once. The games are Best-of-One, and players will be playing until they reach twelve games total within the event constraints. It is very, very important for me to stress that this event is only enterable once and that it is distinct from the next event I'm going to bring up. There are no prizes for this event but it's a good practice event for the next one.
On October 5th at 8:00 PM until October 7th at 8:00 AM (also all in Pacific Daylight Time), Wizards is hosting a follow-up event to the first event. Players will once more be given a playset of each card in Standard on Arena to compete until they have reached either twelve wins or two losses. The event, like the one before it, can only be entered one time. These games will also be Best-of-One in the Standard format. If a player places in this event, the prize payout will be as follows:
- 12 Wins: 1 Copy of every card in Standard + 1 Sealed Event Token + Golden Egg card sleeve
- 11 Wins: 1 Copy of every card in Throne of Eldraine + 1 Sealed Event Token + Golden Egg card sleeve
- 9–10 Wins: 1 Sealed Event Token + 5 Throne of Eldraine Rare ICRs + Golden Egg card sleeve
- 8 Wins: 5 Throne of Eldraine Rare ICRs + Golden Egg card sleeve
- 6–7 Wins: 4 Throne of Eldraine Rare ICRs + Golden Egg card sleeve
- 4–5 Wins: 3 Throne of Eldraine Rare ICRs + Golden Egg card sleeve
- 2–3 Wins: 2 Throne of Eldraine Rare ICRs + Golden Egg card sleeve
- 0–1 Wins: 1 Throne of Eldraine Rare ICR + Golden Egg card sleeve
With that, I urge you – if you're a fan of Magic: The Gathering: Arena, by all means, enter this tournament series. The entry is free for both events and they're the best way we know of right now to get all the cards that are rotating out of Standard. There is absolutely nothing to lose for doing so, except perhaps spending your time on the venture only to lose two games in a row for the second event, but it's still a great way to learn strategy for the format. Good luck, everyone!